S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clicking sound under hood

Old 06-06-2007, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Kill I think you hit the nail on the head, the closer towards the oil change, the worse it gets. So it is the TCT, will a new one fix the problem or should I just wait?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TCT sound is RPM dependent.

Actually, I can't think of any sound that wouldn't be RPM dependent. Anything that's clicking under the hood should click faster if you rev the motor higher. Otherwise, it's probably not engine related.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:32 AM

That's what I was about to say.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:21 PM

From what Kill said it nailed it on the head. When I rev it goes away. Although it may go with my RPM I couldnt tell because all I hear is my exhuast and intake. (Vented Hood). If it is the TCT should it be changed, car only has about 34,000 miles on it and is an 02.

Thanks for the input
Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 PM

Oh, fine... when I suggest TCT, you say it's not that... but when kill suggests it, then "it nailed it on the head". I see how you are.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

EVAP purge solenoids can be heard clicking at idle, also a normal condition.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:02 AM

ahaha sorry mxt_77 i didn't mean to step on your toes...and also the reason why i went into detail was because my TCT problem was a pita to diagnose...every sound clip or video i watched didn't match my symptoms until i read EVERY SINGLE TCT POST ON THIS FORUM@#$%@#$%..that sucked...but then i realized that its not a single symptom problem...it can be constant noise rpm dependent..it came be warm startup noise for a few seconds...it can be completely at random while your driving(i only get this when my oil is low ) and if you just say TCT and its not the most obvious symptom(car is making noise constantly and is rpm dependent) then people are gonna say..no its not that cuz they don't know.

the only reason my sound isn't rpm dependent is because when i rev it the oil pressure goes up and the TCT tightens(as it's operation is based on oil pressure). i assume that if i let it go long enough the sound will not "go away" when i rev it and it will continue until i am forced to replaced the TCT. i plan on replacing it for the heck of it sooner or later...right now funds are a bit tight thats why i'm waiting(it still bothers the shit out of me though, its a nasty sound).

and wazzurp...ask billman how many TCT's he's replaced...my car is an 02 and only has 52K on it...48K when i bought it. i think he has a box of like 30-40 bad TCT's ....its a more common problem then most people think IMHO...mainly because it happens just outside of warranty and its so easy to replace that people do it themselves instead of contacting honda to b!tch..
Old 06-07-2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by S2K at 9K,Jun 6 2007, 10:32 AM
Don't worry, I feel the same way about my S2000. Any little noise I hear, I think something is wrong. I am finally coming to terms with the fact that this isn't the most quiet car ever, but I love it.
trust me i got made fun of in my local forum for being so anal retentive about noises...i'm the type of person that wants my car to be 150% mechanically but won't wash it for a month hahaha..i bought the car to drive not to show off to the little teeny bopper girls so thats my main priority..makin damn well sure this thing runs right...

it took me about 2-3 months before i backed off and just realized that this car is the noisiest thing i've ever heard...period... (engine noise..not loud ass fart can exhausts)...
Old 06-07-2007, 10:44 AM

You can buy a cheap automotive stethoscope for about 10 or 15 bucks and confirm without-a-doubt if it's the TCT or not. It's easily accessible, and the sound is obvious once you put a stethoscope up to it.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 AM

dood...i bought a stethescope and because of the random nature of my TCT problem i never could diagnose it with the steth...like i'd hear it and pull over lookin like an idiot on the side of the road like a doctor working on a patient (my engine )....and it would go away...

only way you can do it is to have someone else start the car and hope to god it makes the noise that specific time.

i mean..if its making the noise constantly you don't even need the steth cuz you just hear this nasty ass sound that you know is the TCT hahahaha

Quick Reply: Clicking sound under hood