S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clicking noise when car warms up and below 1500rpm

Old 08-11-2009, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise when car warms up and below 1500rpm

when i start the car everything seems to be perfect, once the car warms up i start to hear clicking noise from the engine. just trying to figure out what could it possibly be? the sound goes away when you rev engine up above 1500 rpm, or maybe its just becomes constant and i dont hear it.
some things to consider, maybe i dont hear it when its colder the idle speed is higher and i dont hear it. the main bearings are good for sure and rod bearings are new in it too. (from honda same color as the native ones).
another thing i dont have the o2 sensor in yet, the one that goes in the header. the cat o2 sensor is in. (my original o2 sensor wires got frayed, so waiting to replace it)
im thinking of possibilities, and so far i came up with: timing chain tensioner, injectors, valve adjustment even though the were recently adjusted, pin that holds piston to the rod?
cant think of anything else.
hope its something minor, like tct.

Thanks for any suggestions to fixing it.

Roman
Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 AM

prob a TCT. I went through all the other steps first, valvetrain, injectors, changed my oil. Turned out to be the TCT. Have a passenger listen with the top down and see if they can hear it when the car is cruising. That is how i found out mine was even ticking.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:39 AM

mine is clicking when idling, only under 1500 rpm, and i just replaced oil too (mobile1 full syntetic 10w30) yeah i will try to look into tct tomorrow (dont wanna wake up all my neighbors with my exhaust)

Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 02:52 AM

change oil from mobil1 to something else. many people have come to the conclusion that mobil1 is not a good oil in our cars and is linked with many TCT failures.

i had been running amsoil 10w30 for a while, but when i couldn't get my hands on some, i put some m1 in. i got a strange tct (i'm guessing) noise on startup while i had the m1 in there. next oil change back to amsoil, the noise was gone.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:34 AM

its your timing chain autotensioner, like others have stated. if you change your oil from mobil 1 and the sound is still there, just replace your TCT. Its quite a simple DIY job.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=320897&st=25
Old 08-11-2009, 07:19 AM

Does it go away when warm? I had a valve or two that needed adjustment and I could hear it over my straight 2.75" exhaust on my supercharged car until the car warmed up.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ness2000,Aug 11 2009, 07:19 AM
Does it go away when warm? I had a valve or two that needed adjustment and I could hear it over my straight 2.75" exhaust on my supercharged car until the car warmed up.
no opposite, appears when it warms up.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 PM

well i changed out the TCT and nose is still there [one thing though its a used tct, so there is still a slight chance it might be bad]

but here is the thing, i tried ruling out the injectors, so i disconnected one at a time and when i disconnected cyl2 (2nd one from firewall) noise seemed to get quieter, so i swapped 2nd and 4th injectors, and 2nd getting a bit quieter. {with a different injector}

here is some history on my s2k: i bought it from a guy whse retainer cracked and dropped a valve, ripped out valve seat and messed up 1,2,3 cyinder walls and pistons. {i think it got to other cylinders through intake} well but my brother had an engine he bought from somebody who said it made some clicking noise which he believed were rod bearings. so i took that engine apart and replaced rod bearings, i was told to select proper size i gota find codes on crank, block, and rods, so i found them all except for the crank codes, i couldnt find them so i decided to remove the original ones and ordered same color coded bearings. i also inspected main bearings and crank surface which both seemed to be perfect. also i replaced main seal while at it. now im thinking i should have also checked out pins that connect rods to pistons and at least cyl4 walls. i heard early f20c have #4 cyl issues sometimes.

but one thing is that rods seemed to have some play side to side, not sure if its norma, i know it is normal on some audi engines. but also while rods were torqued to specs i tried twisting rod diagonally so if there is any play there, and to me it seemed a very minimal amount, but present.

so now i dont even know what else to think.

maybe i should have gotten a bit thicker bearings? i have green green yellow yellow and rods were 2233 i think or vise versa 3322 .
Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 PM

oh and forget to mention it, i drove he car around today and to me it seemed like noise got a bit louder

Old 08-12-2009, 03:02 AM

did you change your oil to not mobil1?

Quick Reply: Clicking noise when car warms up and below 1500rpm