S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clicking noise in rear

Old 09-05-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise in rear

K guys, here goes. The car is an 03 S2k. Maintenance has been meticulously done by myself. Engine oil every 3-5k with Mobil 1 syn., tranny fluid every 15k with Honda MTF, and diff fluid every 15k with Mobil 1 gear oil. Today I got my car back after having it at the dealer all day. They performed a complete check up of the car since it is approaching 60k. They changed all fluids plus did all the inspection stuff, cleaned the fuel injectors, etc, etc. Basically a complete inspection and tune up.

The main reason I had brought the car in was because I was noticing a clicking noise coming from the rear. The only time I can get the noise to replicate is when I start off slowly in reverse (ie, slowly let out the clutch) or when I slowly start in first gear. It makes a mechanical clicking noise sometimes 3-4 times, sometimes once, and sometimes not at all. I can not replicate this noise any other time and it has never happened while at speed. ONLY when I first start moving forwards or backwards. Well I told the service lady all this and she said she would look for it. This was at 8 am. Later at 6 pm right before they closed, they got my car ready. Of course the service tech couldnt find it. So I took him for a spin and sure enough got the noise to replicate on the second try of slowly backing out. It is when the car is transitioning from a stop into a roll that the noise occurs. The service tech said that he hadnt heard that earlier and that it was not normal. But since they were closed, I have to go back Monday when I have time again. Any ideas on what this could be?

Additionally, I posted another thread asking about 60k service but was not clear enough in my question. Are there any things that would not be covered in a full inspection that should be done. The type of things I am talking about are tightening the clutch spring in my old civic Si so the clutch pedal feels stiffer. Stuff like that. Or I believe I remember seeing somebody say something about having axel nuts torqued to a new spec #. Thanks for all the help and sorry this is a novel.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:32 PM

Actually this is what I thought may be the probelm with the noise. Anyone know more about this or where I can get this picture in a bigger size so I can show it to the service tech?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to another dealer for service. The one you went to is incompetent. This is one of the most well known issues with an s2k and there are TSBs out about it. If your dealer can't even do a quick search of the TSBs, then what else will they skimp on?

A quick search here should have found you an answer. But...have the rear hub nuts re-torqued to 220ft-lb. The manufacturer specs and Helms repair manuals have the wrong torque spec. Honda found the problem in 03, but for some reason is still a problem even on newer cars.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Remove center cap (this whole job can, and should, be done with the wheel on/car on ground)
Unstake nut.
Remove nut.
Grease the face of nut (WD40 on threads if they are salty)
Reinstall nut.
Retorque to 220Ft-Lbs
Re-stake nut.
Reinstall centercap
Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 PM

Bill, could you post a pic of clarify. Does this need to be on the rear wheels only? Do I need any special tools?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by negcamber,Sep 6 2007, 02:34 AM
Go to another dealer for service. The one you went to is incompetent. This is one of the most well known issues with an s2k and there are TSBs out about it. If your dealer can't even do a quick search of the TSBs, then what else will they skimp on?

A quick search here should have found you an answer. But...have the rear hub nuts re-torqued to 220ft-lb. The manufacturer specs and Helms repair manuals have the wrong torque spec. Honda found the problem in 03, but for some reason is still a problem even on newer cars.
While I agree they should have checked the TSB's, especially since I specifically stated I thought there might be a TSB on this. However, I live in Oklahoma which isnt exactly S2000 capital of the world so it could possibly be due to just not working on enough of them. They are a lot cleaner and friendlier than the other two dealerships around here. This is however a classic example of why I am completely cynical / skeptical about letting anyone else touch my car as far as service goes.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:02 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Yes rear wheels only.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:23 AM

Billman, what do you mean by unstaking and restaking the nuts?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 AM

The nut is punched in at one point where there is a groove to hold it in place so it does not loosen. Just take a flat head screw driver and pry it out flat to take off and when putting on the new nut bang it back in once tightened to 220ft lbs where the groove is.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:01 AM

I had this problem, brought the car in and handed them the printed out TSB.
No more click!
Thank you, all who helped!