S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clicking Diff When Turning.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Diff When Turning.

I have a question about my diff that I noticed when taking tight fast turns. it seems to be making a very audible clicking noise. For example when turning right on a freeway ramp doing about 30-40 its loud, then as I slow it quiets.

I'm at 13k miles. I had the diff fluid replaced at 7k miles with synthetic. Am I due for another change?

Sorry if this isn't the place for this. The search function does not respond...
Old 12-08-2005, 09:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What brand, type and weight of diff fluid? A street driven car should get a diff fluid change annually or every 10K to 15K miles. If you drive it hard regularly, then more often.

Your situation could be wheel bearing, CV joint or rear diff related but with a 2005, I find this hard to believe UNLESS the dealer did the diff fluid change and they put in the WRONG fluid.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:55 AM

I had it done at the Spugen shop in Southern Cali. I doubt they did it wrong, and I am not sure of the weight/type.

Does it click normally? Man I hope this isn't a problem.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by HoshNasi,Dec 8 2005, 12:55 PM
I had it done at the Spugen shop in Southern Cali. I doubt they did it wrong, and I am not sure of the weight/type.

Does it click normally? Man I hope this isn't a problem.
You're OK with Spugen. Duc and his guys generally know their stuff.

No, the clicking is not normal. You need to do some tests to isolate the kinds of circumstances this clicking does or doesn't happen.
How about tight figure "8's" in a parking lot?
When accelerating or decel?
When braking?
Different speeds going straight? Left turns? Right turns?
Maybe you have a rock or nail just near the edge of a tire. Maybe a wheel weight is loose.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Dec 8 2005, 11:18 AM
You're OK with Spugen. Duc and his guys generally know their stuff.

No, the clicking is not normal. You need to do some tests to isolate the kinds of circumstances this clicking does or doesn't happen.
How about tight figure "8's" in a parking lot?
When accelerating or decel?
When braking?
Different speeds going straight? Left turns? Right turns?
Maybe you have a rock or nail just near the edge of a tire. Maybe a wheel weight is loose.
These are all great ideas, and I will try them out tonight when the parking lot gets empty at work.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:34 PM

-Just returned from my parking lot test. I checked each tire all around and did not find a single tread lodged foreign particle. Visual inspection check.

I did three things. Tight right turns, tight left turns and figure 8's.

-Left turns, pass no click.
-Right turns, clicking heard in rear driver side wheel area.
-Figure 8's, clicking heard on the right turn driver side wheel area only.

I am positive of clicking location, the top was down and I have a good ear.

Points of note:

Recently the driver
Old 12-08-2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by HoshNasi,Dec 8 2005, 07:34 PM
-Right turns, clicking heard in rear driver side wheel area.
-Figure 8's, clicking heard on the right turn driver side wheel area only.
Based on this, it may be possible to narrow it down to one of a couple of things. Tight right turns will put the most strain on the right side CV joints, but this may be compounded by a bad LSD (limited slip diff).
There is no reason why the LSD would give you any problems with a car so new. The same goes for the CV joints. This sort of thing has traditionally been attributed to Honda dealers putting in the wrong diff fluid, causing the self destruct of the LSD within weeks. Some have even gone within days while others have taken some months. Usually, this has been associated with ticking and a sort of rumbling sound from the diff. I simply can't imagine that Spugen would not know to put the correct fluid in. On the other hand, I've seen another "shop" (who shall remain nameless), that have tried some "exotic" type of fluid based on that fluid's efficacy in other applications. I find these to be troubling "experiments".
Just for your own satisfaction, you should dig a little deeper and find out EXACTLY what that fluid is that's currently in your diff.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Dec 8 2005, 06:06 PM
Based on this, it may be possible to narrow it down to one of a couple of things. Tight right turns will put the most strain on the right side CV joints, but this may be compounded by a bad LSD (limited slip diff).
There is no reason why the LSD would give you any problems with a car so new. The same goes for the CV joints. This sort of thing has traditionally been attributed to Honda dealers putting in the wrong diff fluid, causing the self destruct of the LSD within weeks. Some have even gone within days while others have taken some months. Usually, this has been associated with ticking and a sort of rumbling sound from the diff. I simply can't imagine that Spugen would not know to put the correct fluid in. On the other hand, I've seen another "shop" (who shall remain nameless), that have tried some "exotic" type of fluid based on that fluid's efficacy in other applications. I find these to be troubling "experiments".
Just for your own satisfaction, you should dig a little deeper and find out EXACTLY what that fluid is that's currently in your diff.
boy that is scary...

Well I know when I took it in I was given the choice of the traditional diff oil or the Synthetic. I choose the synthetic. If it is of any importance it was for sure diff oil.

Duc did not do this lube job though.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:14 PM

I have driven about 6k miles since that change though?

Ok found the Invoice..

This is what it says for the fluid used.

"#75-W90 Rear Differential Fluid (AMSOIL SYNTHETIC)"
Old 12-08-2005, 07:18 PM

I have given you a lengthy reply to your PM.

As an aside, is there an indication that it was rated "GL-5"?

Quick Reply: Clicking Diff When Turning.