S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clicking from dash

Old 05-20-2006, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking from dash

I hope this is the right forum .... I've searched and found a lot on clicking noises, but couldn't find anything that described what's happening to me. I have a new MY06 (300 miles) and have been pretty good about the break-in suggestions. I heard for the first time last night clicking from the dash while in 5th and 6th gears (~3500-4000 RPM); sounds like a loud version of the indicator, which from what I can gather means a relay going on and off. It's coming from just to the left of the steering column. There's no bad effects associated with this clicking that I can tell, nor any indication of anything going on/off.

Only info that seems plausibly relevent is: 1) I filled my first tank with gas from 76, which I've heard isn't the best (but I put 92 octane in); maybe it doesn't like this gas? And 2) on my way down yesterday morning, I accidentally went from 5th -> 3rd instead of up to 6th for a split-second ; it went above 5500 RPM, but I'm pretty sure I caught it before it red-lined (if it would have at all? I was switching gears at moderate RPMs of about 4000). There was no clicking for ~40 minutes of highway driving after that; I first heard the clicking (after the car sat for hours) on my way back home. Hard to imagine a delayed reaction from this screw-up, eh?

What else? Yesterday morning was the first time I drove on the highway with the top up, and like I said no clicking then. Heard it last night and then again this morning. The clicking only comes when in 5th and 6th and/or above speeds of about 50 mph. It seems to be correlated with bumpy roads. I'd take it to the dealership on Monday, but I'm going on a long road trip tomorrow morning, which I can't cancel (unless imperitive) because its for work not just for fun.

Any ideas? Should I be worried about a 12hr trip on the highway? The engine still sounds good and the car still runs fine; just this annoying click (which I can certainly live with because the top's usually down anyway!), but I just want to make sure it isn't an indication of a more serious problem.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the periodicity of the 'clicking' vary with engine RPM or does it click at a constant rate? If it varies with RPM it could be several things if it doesn't then I don't have a clue other than some in/under dash relay.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it could just be your top clicking
Old 05-23-2006, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made it! 1400 miles later ... Already blew a flat going over BRUTAL US-191 in Utah and Colorado. I got showered with rocks from passing cars. Seemed to survive after finding a replacement, but ugh! Why didn't they post a detour route and/or warn us what we were heading into?!

Anyway, although not as high on my concern list after the rock-minefield, I did listen for the clicking. It happens with the top up or down (read about that and holding down didn't matter). I've never heard it in 4th gear or less. It never happens on a nice, smooth road; invariably does when bumpy. It is intermittent and doesn't seem to be related to the engine RPM (slowing down didn't make it go away), just the bumpiness of the road. My latest thought is that the people who installed my alarm have something loose and its one of their relays going off? I want to take it in now anyway to see what other damage the rocks might have caused; hopefully they can figure this clicking out too.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry about your rock problems! Does sound like possibly something loose rattling around, good luck finding it, at least it seems very unlikely to be an engine problem.
Good luck!