S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clicking

Old 05-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking

Last summer I started hearing a click when backing up or starting off initially so I of did the search and read through and replaced the axle nuts and torqued them to spec. This winter the click came back. It happens more often when turning. I'm thinking the inner joint on my passenger side is going out. I found a replacement axle for the right side for $60 at O'reiley's but no left side. Everywhere else I noticed it was at least $225 for the inner. I wanted to see what anyone's experience with this has been. I'll of course replace the axle nuts again and make sure they are re-torqued to spec. etc. I am concerned that any more driving that I have to do may do some damage to the diff.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What torque did you use on the axle nuts? Many manuals say 180ft-lb, but that is incorrect. The correct spec is 220ft-lb.

You might also try greasing the axle splines. Dry splines can often click especially when turning.

Hopefully, it is not the axle, but they can click as well. Check to make sure the boots are in good shape and don't have tears that would have allowed rain water to wash away cv grease while driving.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:44 PM
wss2k84

It seems as if all AP1's go through this issue unfortunately. I did exactly what negcamber said above and havent heard it again in over 1.5 years. I also didn't torque the axle nuts down to 220 ft-lb the 1st time but the 2nd time did the trick. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:55 PM

I'm super anal about the S, it has been bothering me. I plan to get under the car tomorrow and get a better assessment of the situation and check out the boots etc. I'll post my findings tomorrow. I want to say I torqued them to 220lb. It has been nine months or so since I have done it so I don't remember. What type of grease would you recommend for the splines?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it has been 9 months since you torqued them, I'd say try that first before pulling stuff apart.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:15 PM

I'll have to check it out and see I wasn't able to get under and do some further examining today. I wouldn't think it should be re-occurring that shortly after if torqued to 220lb. I don't mind pulling it apart, I just want to go ahead and get it fixed. The sound is more prominent when turning and makes a loud click/pop. I'm thinking it might be wear on the inner cup or either the splines needing greasing. I'll keep posted and put up pics when I am finally have time to get around to checking it all out.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:35 PM

Wow I'm having this same problem too, but I think its the brakes making this noise but I'm going to check em and I was just going to do some research too.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:34 PM

It has been said before by other users on older threads, but I will say it anyway. I had the clicking noise from the driver rear. removed old spindle nut, mildly greased the new spindle nut threads (though the greasing of the axle splines that is mentioned often refers to removing the axle from the knuckle and greasing the entirety of the axle splines) and the mating surface that the spindle nut will be contacting on the hub.

I dont have a torque wrencht aht goes up to 220 lbs so i torqued it as high as mine would go (about 155 lb-ft) and then took my biggest ratchet and an extension bar and gave it a constant and very firm pressure. The nut wont turn much. 220 ft-lbs is a lot, but you shouldn't need to get vicious to insure that you are reaching 220 ft-lbs. I did this about a month ago. It's been good so far.

Best of luck.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 PM

if the clicking is more prominent during turns, then your differential needs attention. I had the same problem. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:47 PM

What was wrong with your diff.? I changed my differential fluid less than 4,000 ago and put in the proper amount.

Quick Reply: Clicking