S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cleaning spark plugs after seafoam and review

Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning spark plugs after seafoam and review

Well I was almost due for an oil change and my car only has 57,xxx on it and I was like why not try seafoam to loosen up the carbon build up and to prevent more from coming but then I was like oh crap my pricey oem spark plugs are on order and won't be here, but I decided to seafoam the car and oh man did it smoke alot for an my04 with 57k and I mean alot that concerned neighbors came out to make sure everything is ok. Anyways I figure it will be ok to drive 2 days after the seafoam treatment until the plugs get in. Well after 2 days I replaced the plugs with an oil change, and my car now feels really good, throttle response is great and does pull stronger and no more bogging or anything like that and I highly recommend it, i did have the car stall out on me twice but it started back up fine with no problems and instead of using 1/3 of the can I used half cause I wanted that "extra cleaning" lol. Anyways after I replaced the plugs and feeling better I took a look at my old plugs which were all fouled up with build up of carbon on the tips and I said "oh I'll just save these for the next seafoam" but I thought about it and said why put fouled up plugs back in my precious motor so I was thinking after googleing spark plug cleaning that I can spray brake parts cleaner on it and lightly scrub the tips with a light toothbrush or wirebrush has anyone considered or done this yet?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:38 AM

My buddy and I seafoamed my s2k a few weeks ago and I got this humming sound from the engine. Does yours do it also?? I'm loving the throttle response though.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 AM

No I did not get any humming noise, did you pour it in slowly, you can't just dump it in, and did you drive it for a while and hard afterwards to get the carbon out, you have to let it sit for 5 minutes too after your done, well that's what I did at least. Also did you change your plugs out or cleaned them because they do get fouled up pretty bad. Where's the ticking coming from?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 AM

Oh and make sure that the hose or whatever you used (most likely brake booster hose) is connected tightly check that area, yeah throttle response is alot better aint' it?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by vtec4life,Apr 7 2008, 05:44 AM
No I did not get any humming noise, did you pour it in slowly, you can't just dump it in, and did you drive it for a while and hard afterwards to get the carbon out, you have to let it sit for 5 minutes too after your done, well that's what I did at least. Also did you change your plugs out or cleaned them because they do get fouled up pretty bad. Where's the ticking coming from?
I did not changed the spark plugs. I only sea foamed so that couldve been it. I mean the humming noise isnt nearly as loud as it was when I first did it 3 weeks ago.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:55 AM

Change your oil afterwards too.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 AM

Yes, you can use solvent and a brush to clean the plugs.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 AM

at 57k, what was the color of the smoke that came out? was it even remote gray or black or was it just plain white?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 PM

I don't know because I was coughing too much from the smoke blowing in my mouth. lol. I think it was white/ gray. Not too sure.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 PM

For seafoam, where is a local place you can get it? Are there special instructions for an S2k or do I just follow the directions on the back?

Where do you guys buy your sparkplugs from?

Quick Reply: Cleaning spark plugs after seafoam and review