S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cleaning OEM Car Cover

Old 08-21-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning OEM Car Cover

Hello Everyone!

I know this topic has been discussed before, but the threads I found were from 06'. I was still looking for Fantastik, as per the Honda OEM car cover instructions, but Fantastik is no longer made per S.C. Johnson. What else have everyone used in place of Fantastik? I know from reading the other threads that Fantastik is a very mild liquid laundry detergent, that even gets rid of the tire stains from the inside of the car cover, but what is everyone using now?? What kind and how much of the cleaner is everyone using?? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Covercraft recommends Simple Green APC, for what it's worth.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throw it in the wash on a gentle cycle, no damage and it's clean
Old 08-21-2014, 01:40 PM

wash it and let it dry on the car or, in a front loading machine.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, I would think Simple Green would be too harsh for the OEM cover. I already know how I'm going to wash and dry it from other threads. I just need to know what others used as a detergent when washing the car cover. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by MrVegas
Thanks for the replies, I would think Simple Green would be too harsh for the OEM cover. I already know how I'm going to wash and dry it from other threads. I just need to know what others used as a detergent when washing the car cover. Thanks.
I have not washed my car cover but if I did I would probably use Woolite.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:14 PM

a2l90e, thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing - Woolite. I'm just woundering if the Woolite will be able to take off the really badly soiled spots(the inside part that covers the tires). I was hoping I'd get more replies from people that have actually been successful in cleaning their OEM car covers. American Honda was no help what so ever in what can be used instead of Fantastik.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iirc, Fantastik was a product more like 409. The cover is only flannel, so regular laundry detergent works well enough. I never found a washing machine large enough to wash mine properly. They are so big that they can't get agitated well enough in a washer. I wound up stringing a rope very tightly between two trees, draping them over, and washing them by hand with a brush and a hose. I have had 3 oem covers and they all shrank and started dumping lint all over the car after the first washing.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Commercial washer at a laundromat with regular laundry detergent. Dry partially on low heat. Finish with air drying.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by MrVegas
a2l90e, thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing - Woolite. I'm just woundering if the Woolite will be able to take off the really badly soiled spots(the inside part that covers the tires). I was hoping I'd get more replies from people that have actually been successful in cleaning their OEM car covers. American Honda was no help what so ever in what can be used instead of Fantastik.
Like I stated, wash it on the car if you can. This way you can pre treat & scrub the heavily soiled spots by hand. use the same wash you use to wash the car. and rinse the hell out of it. I wouldn't use woolite. so called fabric softeners tend to cling to the cover and end up on your paint, glass and can cloud your headlights. I've had 5 oem covers in 13yrs they're pretty durable. sun light deteriorates them. Good luck

Quick Reply: Cleaning OEM Car Cover