S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clacking noise after oil change

Old 11-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

I wouldn't expect the oil viscosity to make a noticeable difference but it's possible that it's just enough to cause some piston slap or get loose valves to chatter. IMO, you should switch to a 0W-30 or 5W-30. That will give you a much lower cold start viscosity without affecting your warm engine viscosity.

Years ago, I put Mobil 1 10W-40 in a Chrysler engine with hydraulic valves that was supposed to take 10W-30. That engine had a terrible chatter at startup. When I switched back to 10W-30 the chatter went away.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To diagnose with a stethoscope you would need to actually put the scope up against the pulley nut with the motor running and try blipping the throttle like you did in your vid. Might be a 2 person job. Just listening to the pulley turn while your doing it with your hand really will not tell you much. If the sound Is not there or in the actual tensioner you'll have to probe elsewhere.

Sorry if I led you in the wrong direction, but it sounded exactly like my 03 with a clkrity pulley. When I replaced mine I bought the whole thing and replaced it, but at the time didn't know I could buy it separately.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44
I wouldn't expect the oil viscosity to make a noticeable difference but it's possible that it's just enough to cause some piston slap or get loose valves to chatter. IMO, you should switch to a 0W-30 or 5W-30. That will give you a much lower cold start viscosity without affecting your warm engine viscosity.

Years ago, I put Mobil 1 10W-40 in a Chrysler engine with hydraulic valves that was supposed to take 10W-30. That engine had a terrible chatter at startup. When I switched back to 10W-30 the chatter went away.
Yeah I'm hoping that by switching back to 10w-30 it'll go away but I'll find out this weekend. I was thinking it could be piston slap but down here in South FL where the temps are around 90 degrees, I didn't think that could happen. Can you get piston slap in warm weather?

Originally Posted by MR.T
To diagnose with a stethoscope you would need to actually put the scope up against the pulley nut with the motor running and try blipping the throttle like you did in your vid. Might be a 2 person job. Just listening to the pulley turn while your doing it with your hand really will not tell you much. If the sound Is not there or in the actual tensioner you'll have to probe elsewhere.

Sorry if I led you in the wrong direction, but it sounded exactly like my 03 with a clkrity pulley. When I replaced mine I bought the whole thing and replaced it, but at the time didn't know I could buy it separately.
Don't worry about it, it's all just trial and error. I thought it was the pulley, even my mechanic thought it was the pulley. Truth is I should've taken the belt off and started the car to see if the noise was still there before I bought the pulley. But now that I know it's not the pulley after running the car with the belt off, I can only guess it's something to do with the motor itself. It could be the crank pulley, but it wasn't wobbling or anything, and it didn't feel loose. The noise is getting a bit louder now so maybe I'll take another vid to better capture the noise.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:44 PM

Use the recommended oil viscosity and see what happens. You should be using 10w30 or 5w30.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:05 PM

I've been real busy with school but I did get around to changing the oil back to 10w30 but the noise is still there on cold start. I've tried pinpointing the noise with a stethoscope but I can't seem to find it. I can post another vid to see if I can capture the sound better, but anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 11-24-2013, 06:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What oil filter are you using? Before I changed the oil I might change the filter. The one on the car may have a bad antidrain back valve. The filter is emptying when you turn the car off. This means the filter must fill before the upper valve train sees oil. A 10w30 and a 10w40 of the same kind (dino or synthetic) have the same properties cold. 10w40 is thicker hot. I do not think your problem is the oil.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRook
I've been real busy with school but I did get around to changing the oil back to 10w30 but the noise is still there on cold start. I've tried pinpointing the noise with a stethoscope but I can't seem to find it. I can post another vid to see if I can capture the sound better, but anyone have any other suggestions?
Ok, so I definitely hear the same noise I had. I had this noise on my first S2K, 01 AP1 and my current S2K 00 with F22, and that noise is still there. I went to a Honda dealer, started their S2K and heard it on their car too. I hear it mostly on cold start, I am guessing its normal? I really wanna tear my engine apart one day to see wtf it is. The noise I am talking about is specifically at 0:28 of your video.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I got your PM OP.

I noticed the noise on my previous oil change. I used pennzoil conventional 10w-30 and a Bosch filter. The sound became less noticible as i put miles on the car. I just changed it again today with the same oil and filter and the noise seems more obvious again. I wonder if the Bosch filter is the cause because my first change I did on the car was pennzoil 10w-30 with an STP filter and I didn't notice the noise at all.

Next change i will most likely get a honda filter and see if that makes a difference. (I should do anyway but my local parts stores are easier than going to a honda dealership)

The noise seems to go away once the car reaches operating temperature. I was thinking it could be the tensioner pulley today but it seems you've already tried it. Another thought is the tct. I may get a tct since it can't hurt to put one on.

Edit: idk if it was just your video, but on mine I just notice it more at idle than throttle blips.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shit, I have the same noise and I am using the Bosch oil filter, time to get the original
Old 11-28-2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by TheRook
I just switched my oil from castrol high mileage 10w30 to 10w40, and when I started my car there was this clacking/rattling noise. It's most apparent on cold start up, after it warms it goes away but i can still hear it slightly. My car is an 03 with 96k on it. I'm getting worried about driving it.

I've got some vids but the quality isn't great, all I have is my phone.

This is after a cold start, the noise is most noticeable at 26secs, after I rev it up you can hear it slightly when it drop back to idle.
http://youtu.be/H2X34-1DtIw

This is after i went for a 10-15min drive, it sounds more or less normal, I think
http://youtu.be/wzZCcX2DGlA

if it's not the TCT or low oil pressure, could it be excessive valve clearances?

Quick Reply: Clacking noise after oil change