S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Chrome intake manifold

Old 05-03-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chrome intake manifold

I am currently researching methods of modifying and installing a polished and chromed intake manifold. My problem is this. I had a perfectly good polished manifold chromed. I thought it was a good idea, and I'm not convinced yet that it's a failed project. The problem with the manifold is the mounting surfaces were chromed as well. When you chrome anything, there tends to be more build up of metal on the edges, rendering a not completely flat surface for mounting. This has casued the stock intake gaskets to fail and leak. My research has given me several alternatives.

1. Have it stripped and re-chromed. This option is problamatic as all steel items mounted on the manifold, including the soft plug on the back would be eaten away by the acid.
2. Sand the mounting surface flat on glass, covered with sand paper. The chroming shop offered to do this, but I am sceptical of the process.
3. Have the chrome and and nickel stripped, leaving the base copper layer in place, while rechroming the rest of the intake - a possibility that would leave the steel items in place and safe.
4. Leave the intake alone and try installing a Hondata gasket using permatex aircraft sealer. I am leaning heavily towards trying this first, but I'm no Honda tech. - Does this seem reasonable?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

I think the glass/sandpaper would be quite effective.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250

I'm glad you posted up! I was going to PM to get your opinionof a directionion to go with this. I likely will have them sand it and then move forward with the Hondata gasket and use Permatex Aircraft sealer on the gasket install for the manifold and throttle body. speaking of which, what is your experience with the hondata gasket in FI applications? And do you know if there is a insulating gasket for the throttle body as well? I'm not to crazy about using the paper gasket on this manifold with the sealing problems now being revealed. So now i'm looking at gasket options for the throttle body.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P2R or aka power rev racing makes a throttle body insulating gasket from the same material as the hondata img. You can find the P2R tb gaskets on ebay and elsewhere. They have them for MY '00-'05 as well as a version for the '06+. I have them and a P2R throttle body spacer on my '01.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

Originally Posted by LINESUPER
Originally Posted by Billman250' timestamp='1304517709' post='20537111

I'm glad you posted up! I was going to PM to get your opinionof a directionion to go with this. I likely will have them sand it and then move forward with the Hondata gasket and use Permatex Aircraft sealer on the gasket install for the manifold and throttle body. speaking of which, what is your experience with the hondata gasket in FI applications? And do you know if there is a insulating gasket for the throttle body as well? I'm not to crazy about using the paper gasket on this manifold with the sealing problems now being revealed. So now i'm looking at gasket options for the throttle body.
I would not use the hondata gasket on FI application. It can deform. I've seen it happen. I would use the stock gasket.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Originally Posted by LINESUPER' timestamp='1304525266' post='20537625
[quote name='Billman250' timestamp='1304517709' post='20537111']

I would not use the hondata gasket on FI application. It can deform. I've seen it happen. I would use the stock gasket.
[/quote]

- ANOTHER EXPENSIVE MISTAKE AVOIDED!

Ok, it looks like sanding and using OEM gasket with permatex aircraft sealer - and then hope for the best - thanks for the info!