S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Checking for exhaust leaks

Old 05-05-2005, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking for exhaust leaks

I just installed the new exhaust and testpipe yesterday. Didn't get to drive it because it was raining yesterday. Today was nice so I reset the ECU and im out.

First, at idle, there was a vibrating sound coming from the exhaust. I pulled out and when I was idle again, it was gone.

Second, when I hit VTEC and really got the RPMs going, it made a sort of whooosh sound. I don't know if this is what the testpipe makes or if there is a leak?

Anything else I can check to make sure?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Banned

that is a very vague sound.....got more info?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:19 PM

It really just has that sound of a shhhhhhhh like wind rushing through. Should I actually be able to hear this through the pipes?

Can't hear it at idle
Old 05-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hamiy,May 5 2005, 09:19 PM
It really just has that sound of a shhhhhhhh like wind rushing through. Should I actually be able to hear this through the pipes?

Can't hear it at idle
When I installed my exhaust, right after he finished he took a rag and cover up the exhaust tip so the exhaust will be pressurized then you will easily hear if there's any leak from the exhaust.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:35 AM
Banned

Sometimes you can hear it through the pipes and the intake will somtimes cause that whooshing sound. Where'd you get the test pipe from.

Also its really hard to determine the sound without listening the car.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:37 PM

stick a rag in the muffler tip - if there's a leak, you'll see and hear it.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:10 PM

New sounds- Yay!

When accelerating from a dead stop, at the first few k rpms I go through as I feather out the clutch, it makes a tschhhhh sound. Almost like scraping, but not as loud and it doesn't actually sound like anything is making contact.

Also, when first starting the car, it makes a vibrating noise. I can't actually see the muffler making vibrating noises, but it is really loud. After the car warms for about a minute, it goes away. No sounding while driving.

More advice would be great! Thanks for all who have helped so far!

Also, how would I see the leak? I tryed the rag thing, but the exhaust kept shooting the rag out. While I was holding the rag in place, I couldn't hear anything over the vibration of the rag.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:04 AM

you'll probaby need a buddy to help hold the rag in....

then check all the connections, and if there's a leak, you might see a little soot shooting out.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:01 AM

Next time you get a chance jack up the car and take a look around the front & rear of the test pipe. if their is a leak, most likely you will see a carbon build-up. thats how i knew i had a leak at one time...
also, one other final way i checked was when i had the car jacked up ON JACK STANDS on the passenger side i hopped in the car & started it up and had my friend reach under the car and light his lighter about 3" off the connection from test pipe to exhaust, reved the engine to 3k rpms & it blew the flame out. I would more-so recommend doing this one with a grill lighter as opposed to a smaller cig lighter though
Old 05-08-2005, 10:37 PM

how about putting some realllllly soapy water on the flanges and see if it bubbles? that is if it doesn't just evaporate...

Quick Reply: Checking for exhaust leaks