S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Check those spark plugs!!

Old 04-21-2002, 10:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by RedY2KS2k
Let me second the recommendation that you always use anti-seize. As previously mentioned, the plug threads are steel and the head aluminum. Thread these two dissimilar metals together, then add heat and time, and you could remove the threads from the cylinder head with the plug the next time you remove it. Thus the need for an anti-seize compound.

I won't enter the torque debate, but always use anti-seize.
I use it, but like everything else, there are opinions.. Honda recommends it, but some manufacturers, and the Autolite tech line will tell you not to use it. It does cook in the head heat leaving a soot impregnated with metal, it changes the torque spec, and if any gets on the electrode the plug will foul badly.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to be a fan of over torqeing untill one of the dang plugs broke on me! i worked on the car right after i drove so it was hot (mistake 1). then i tightened the plug untill it couldnt turn any more (bad mistake 2)

i ended up breaking the plug so that only the thread part of the plug stayed in the block. i pretty much knew i was f'ed and the head would have to be taken apart to get that sucker out. but an EASY OUT did the job fine.

My suggestion would be follow the 13lbs and just recheck the plugs once and awhile.

PS i talked to the head honcho down at sparkplugs.com explaining what had happed, he said that denso irridiums are VERY fragile! he told me that he has a lot of people calling in saying that they have broke their denso plugs. you may not be as bad of an ass clown as me to break the dang thread off, but if you tighten a plug even a little too much the seal between the hex and and the insulation will break... (i did this too on another plug). you will know that you broke the seal if you hold the insulation part of the plug and see if the hex will spin, if it does its busted!

BE CAREFUL GUYS!
Old 04-22-2002, 05:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DJHohum
[B]PS i talked to the head honcho down at sparkplugs.com explaining what had happed, he said that denso irridiums are VERY fragile! he told me that he has a lot of people calling in saying that they have broke their denso plugs.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im gonna go check mine right now...