S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

check fuel cap warning

Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

I had this happen to me two weeks ago. On a drive from NC to NY the CEL came on after I'd gone about 350 miles on a full tank of gas. I'd never had the CEL come on before, and assumed it was b/c of the gas cap. Though I was a bit mystified that if it was the gas cap it would take 350 miles of driving (roughly 5 hrs) for the light to come on. Since I was getting such great gas mileage I just ignored it. A few days later when I made the return trip back to NC it never came on.

I always make sure the gas cap it clicked 3-4 times when filling up, so go figure.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kcolin,Jul 13 2010, 07:08 AM
^^^^^You have to reset your oil life monitor to get rid of the flashing "maintance req" light.
•- Put the key in the ignition and in the "OFF/LOCKED" Position.

•- Hold the Trip/Reset Button on the right bottom corner of your gauge cluster (see pic)

•- Now - Turn key to the "ON" Position while continuing to hold the Trip/Reset Button till the light goes off.

•***If the light is still at the "blinking" stage and not yet solid - continue to Hold the button for around 25-30 seconds just to make sure it resets. ***
Thank You!!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what is the problem this time, I got CEL from stupid Check Fuel Cap issue, Battery reset, 2 days later warning message appear again!! do you think I should buy a replacement gas cap ?
The following users liked this post:
nyczaeros (03-19-2024)
Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grip the outside of the cap tightly and tighten that way, its what i do, if i just spin till it clicks a few times i get a cel every time. outer ring wont click, and you can squeeze and tighten till your heart is content.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:38 AM

Bringing this back up, no sense in starting an new thread for the same topic. Anyway I am having this problem now. Started 2 weeks ago. I replaced the gas cap with a New OEM one. Days later getting the Check Fuel Cap warning even after clearing the code and new gas cap.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by SweetWaterSurprise
Bringing this back up, no sense in starting an new thread for the same topic. Anyway I am having this problem now. Started 2 weeks ago. I replaced the gas cap with a New OEM one. Days later getting the Check Fuel Cap warning even after clearing the code and new gas cap.

What Importedpower recommended previously worked for me like a charm. "grip the outside of the cap tightly and tighten that way, its what i do, if i just spin till it clicks a few times i get a cel every time. outer ring wont click, and you can squeeze and tighten till your heart is content."

After I did this it took 4 or 5 trips before the CFC warming light went out. I believe the car has to cool down completely in between trips. My '02 still has the OEM gas cap. Anyway, try Importedpower's recommendation.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Yaupon
Originally Posted by SweetWaterSurprise' timestamp='1429015083' post='23577136

What Importedpower recommended previously worked for me like a charm. "grip the outside of the cap tightly and tighten that way, its what i do, if i just spin till it clicks a few times i get a cel every time. outer ring wont click, and you can squeeze and tighten till your heart is content."

After I did this it took 4 or 5 trips before the CFC warming light went out. I believe the car has to cool down completely in between trips. My '02 still has the OEM gas cap. Anyway, try Importedpower's recommendation.

I will give that a shot. Being in NJ they pump the gas for you here so I will need to make sure I close the cap myself
Old 04-14-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Happened to me a handful of times. I don't have a scanner so I just remove the negative from the battery for 10 mins or so and slap it back on it's gone.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:49 AM

The issue is mine comes back, which is driving me nuts. The code is a evaporative emission control system leak detected
Old 04-15-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

This is so weird. Mine just happened to come on today on my drive home. I have a my08. I was almost on empty. I pulled over to check my gas cap everything seemed normal. No matter how many times I took it on and off and turning the car on and off it wouldn't go away...until I filled up on gas. Then walah, no more check fuel cap light....strange.

Quick Reply: check fuel cap warning