S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

"CHECK FUEL CAP"

Old 11-08-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default "CHECK FUEL CAP"

have searched plenty into this, but could not come across any resolutions, so i thought i'd make a thread. the "check fuel cap" warning came across two days ago while i was driving. filled up the tank and reseated the cap several times. 2 days later, and plenty of driving cycles, the warning is still there!!! i dont want to pull the backup fuse, i want to see where this goes. will it just go off. is there anything else that could be screwed up besides a gas cap??? anyways, any input would be great!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Made sure you "clicked" the cap for at least 3 clicks?

If you did (which I'm sure you tried by now) then take it to the dealer, you're under warranty anyway.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

could be a faulty gas cap.. this is a known issue, although I figured it would be resolved by 2006. Also in the past there were faulty filler necks.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ah...the faulty gas cap. Did it set off the CEL? if so here's what to do. (i know cause i had the same problem). Take the gas cap off, then put it back on. However when you put it back on grab the outer edge of the gas cap, not the raised area in the middle. As you turn it, push on the gas cap. at first it will go pretty easy, but then you will feel a bit more resistance. You will be able to tell when it is fully seated, and i turn mine 3 clicks after i feel it seat. This is a problem for the ap1's, and ever since I have done this, no problems. hope this helps and good luck
Old 11-08-2006, 12:11 PM

thanks guys. i'm sure it could be a faulty gas cap. there is no cel. this warning has been going across the dash for the past couple days without a cel, so i'm guessing, the problem was fixed, and it might just take some time to reset. if not, to the dealer for a new cap.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

The "Check Fuel Cap" message will not go away until the temporary DTC stored is manually cleared, or the EVAP system passes the monitor.

You need to drive multiple trips where the engine reaches operating temp and during those trips sustained part throttle cruise needs to occur. Short trips in traffic will not allow the EVAP monitor to run and clear the message.

If there is a problem with the system the CEL will turn on when the EVAP monitor Fails th retest.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Nov 8 2006, 03:44 PM
The "Check Fuel Cap" message will not go away until the temporary DTC stored is manually cleared, or the EVAP system passes the monitor.

You need to drive multiple trips where the engine reaches operating temp and during those trips sustained part throttle cruise needs to occur. Short trips in traffic will not allow the EVAP monitor to run and clear the message.

If there is a problem with the system the CEL will turn on when the EVAP monitor Fails th retest.
so, are you saying that the warning only comes from the actual gas cap? and a cel would mean there is something else screwed up? would it be bad for me to pull the fuse? thanks
Old 11-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

The warning only comes on when a P0456 EVAP system small leak detected temporary DTC is stored. The most likely cause for this DTC is a loose gas cap. With 2 failed EVAP monitors the CEL and permanent DTC are stored.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:35 PM

brought the car to the dealer, cause it was still there. they took it back and reset it. i didnt want to do it myself, cause i'm just damn paranoid about voiding the waranty. i dont want to give them any reason to deny it. so, a couple minutes later, the warning was gone. he said they scanned it and cleared the code. i'm confused though, the radio stations were still set. how did they clear it without pulling the fuse? anyways, its gone, we'll see in the next couple weeks if it ever comes back. i'm gonna make sure the cap is extra tight at every fill up.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

They cleared the code with a scanner. Pulling the fuse is not required.

Quick Reply: "CHECK FUEL CAP"