S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Check engine question?

Old 08-03-2006, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine question?

Well, I just picked up a 2002 s2k with 37k on it. The compression test ran about
212, 215, 218, 217. So I was glad the motor was still running near new. Then I drove it earlier today and the check engine light came on. I was hesistant to drive it but I had to go home so i drove it home lightly.

Then I contemplated on what might have made the check engine light come on. The only thing I did since I got the car was fill up on the gas.

So I am leaning towards the mechanic that did the compression test didnt reset the ECU and that the check engine light thrown could possibly nothing.

Any insight on this situation would be helpful. Thanks
Old 08-03-2006, 10:43 PM

go to autozone *something* and check the code... cuz.. we have no idea, y u got check engine light
Old 08-03-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

SuzukaS2OOO Posted on Aug 4 2006, 08:28 AM
The only thing I did since I got the car was fill up on the gas.
Depending on the actual code.... did you tighten the gas cap correctly?

NFRS2kSi Posted on Aug 4 2006, 08:43 AM
go to autozone *something* and check the code... cuz.. we have no idea, y u got check engine light
The light itself doesnt tell you anything other then to do the above.
But (IIRC) if it is blinking you should NOT drive the car anymore.
Check your manual for that.

Let us know what you find.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:45 PM

Yea, I talked to the previous owner and he told me about the gas cap. I retightened it and drove it again earlier this evening to dinner. The CEL light was still on so I took it softly again.

Tomorrow I am going to be bringing the car to the place which ran the compression test, and hopefully the mechanic can tell me which codes its throwing. Hopefully, its not any misfiring mishaps I've been reading about which seems to be pretty common.

I also filled up with 76 premium gas, and totally forgot that I was recommended to fill up with Techron. But I hope that there isnt any signficiant difference between the two.

I will keep you guys posted, and thanks again for your input.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:52 AM

Alright, well I just got back from the shop which performed the compression test. The mechanic checked the codes and it turned out to be a random misfire code. He said that the CEL light came on at 9mph so I was glad that I wasn't driving hard while it came on.

The car felt more respsonsive than last night when I went to dinner. I am so relieved that everything is alright.

Thanks again to those that gave me your opinions and insights.

Jason
Old 08-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Random mis-fire code isn't "alright". There's a good chance it'll come back too. I'd probably start out by running a good quality fuel injector cleaner/carbon cleaner through it. Something like BK44K.

High octane fuels tend to leave more deposits on the valves than low so, I run injector cleaner pretty frequently. 7500 miles is what they call for.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:19 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I heard some horror stories about those types of additives/cleaners. What brands and such have you used because I've been tempted to use some myself.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BG44K is all I use now. I used to use Redline's product but, I like BG better. I know some people swear by "SeaFoam" but, the name alone is enough to make me shy away.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:04 AM

1)you might of filled wrong gas, such as 89 oct
2)bad spark plug
3)low battery

most likely, u pour wrong gas
Old 08-07-2006, 02:01 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I'm curious as to how a low battery causes misfires, didn't know that they were linked.
Also, I too have been getting the codes, not sure if they're my injectors but I do know my valves are tapping. Id get it and clear it only for it to come back on (manually cleared it twice after reading the code both times), but I then shook the air filter (should be getting a new one this week) which was very dirty and well, 5 trips and 80 miles later no light. So for you gearheads out there, is it plausible that a dirty air filter can lead to this misfire?
I'm curious since nobody offered that as a possibility since the symptoms of a rough idle and a richer smell out of the tailpipe can be attributed to a bad filter (correct me if Im wrong).

Quick Reply: Check engine question?