S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Check Engine and Oil Light on

Old 04-19-2004, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my way to school today, my check engine light went on. It happend while i was on the NJ turnpike, doing about 80 (no vtecing or anything, just regular driving). I thought it was probly the gas cap but i tried taking it on and off multiple times with no success. Then at school i went for a little drive, and while vtecing, the oil light went on. Only problem is im at school for a week with no time for a oil change. Can i last the week? Also, i checked my oil and it is at the top (i got the car 2 months ago or so, assuming the dealer had changed the oil, and have since put on 1500 miles).
Old 04-19-2004, 03:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh oh.

If it is indeed the oil light that is illuminated DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR. When it comes on that means that there is insufficient oil pressure. It does not function as an oil change indicator. It is especially disconcerting that the oil light came on under VTEC, the exact conditions where you need the most oil flow and best lubrication to your engine. Also, oil pressure should be high when turning high RPMs. In order to avoid any additional damage, I would have the car towed to the dealership or a trusted mechanic, explain what happened and have them give the engine a thorough inspection including an oil pressure check with a guage that is known to be good, followed by compression and leak-down check on all cylinders. There may be a short circuit on the light, but that is unlikely.

Be aware that if you have run the car with a very low oil pressure it is likely that some harm has come to your engine, so you may want to make some carefully considered choices with your plan of action to discover if there are any mechanical problems.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:56 PM

First off, are you sure its the Oil Pressure light? Or is it just the maintenance required light?

If its the oil pressure light follow CoralDoc's suggestion and take it to the dealer ASAP!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 06:54 PM

Well this really sucks...

Im gettin it towed tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the oil pressure switch is connected to the wire. Its located just above the oil filter assembly. Its a single wire sensor that is screwed into the block. The wire comes down from the VTEC valve assembly and is screwed into the sensor.

If you are lucky is may have come loose and be touching the body when you accelerate.

Also check if the light actually comes on when the engine is switched off.

Speedracer.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:38 PM

Would this also make the check engine light come on though? The oil pressure light has not come on since i hit vtec that time.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From my memory of the wiring loom you are correct, the on/off oil switch does not go to the ECU. There is a VTEC related pressure sensor that does go to the ECU to check there is enough pressure before engaging the VTEC oil solenoid. Have you pulled the CEL codes?

Speedracer.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:10 AM

not that I know of.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Banned

So how exactly did it happen? Did the light come on and stay on, or blink or what? It is hard to believe that if the light came on due to there being zero oil pressure (which is when it comes on) that you wouldnt have damaged the motor. Is it possible that whoever did the last oil change put an oil that was too heavy? If your oil was low enough to where the light would come on it probably wouldnt have vtec'd in the first place, so it could be the pressure sender like others have suggested. When was the last time you checked the oil and are you 100 percent sure you checked it correctly i.e wiping the stick clean etc etc (I know it sounds absurd but youd be surprised that some people dont check their oil correctly)
Old 04-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Banned

also, I know it sounds dumb, but like s2ken asked, it was the red oil light that came on and not a blink of the yellow "maintenance required" light correct?

Quick Reply: Check Engine and Oil Light on