S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Check engine light and rough running engine?

Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light and rough running engine?

Hope someone can help here. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question? I know its a long shot, I just could not provide any more info. Its a 00AP1 with 35k on the odo and completely stock. I started the engine yesterday, and discovered the motor was running rough. Drove it down the block and it got worst and have no powwer. Feels like a cylinder is missing. Check engine light comes on. drove it back and parked it. You guys think its OK to drive it to my wrench? What do you suggest I look at for any possible help? check engine does not blink.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check spark plugs to be sure they are all tightened properly? If any of them get loose you will have misfires (CEL) and lose compression and power. Also if the spark plug gap gets too out of spec it will do the same (loss of power and run rough). Could be many things but start with the simple and cheap things first.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:47 PM

thanks, will try that first thing in the morning.

Any more suggestions, anyone?

I have been sitting most of this evening trying to read about this issue. The fail engine is scaring the crap out of me.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:27 PM

OK, plugs are good. The check engine light stayed lid last night. this morning All the plugs were pulled then re-installed. Check engine light took about 2 minutes to come on, then drove down the hill to try and get code read. The check engine light continue to blink non stop. Turned around and parked it. Any ideas?

Jeff
Old 12-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Blinking = very bad.

Generally speaking, a car that is running rough and has a CEL should not be driven at all.

At. All.

At.

All.

Best options in the original scenario would be buying or renting an OBD scanner and then towing to the mechanic.

Pretty much your only option at this point is to flat-bed tow to the mechanic.

Don't scrimp here. You may have already damaged your engine past the point of repair.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:32 AM

the car is not driven very hard and had only 35000 miles on it. I have been reading for about 3 hours yesterday about fail engines. I am not sure how often this kind of thing happens or is it an internet thing where thing get blown out of the water. this blinking CEL happened suddenly from not driving the car for 2 weeks.

Where do you suppose I can rent a OBD scanner, like a Track Auto or Pep Boys type store? where do I plug this thing to get the code suppose if I can get hold of one?

what do you think happened?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by look 171,Dec 5 2010, 02:32 AM
the car is not driven very hard and had only 35000 miles on it. I have been reading for about 3 hours yesterday about fail engines. I am not sure how often this kind of thing happens or is it an internet thing where thing get blown out of the water. this blinking CEL happened suddenly from not driving the car for 2 weeks.

Where do you suppose I can rent a OBD scanner, like a Track Auto or Pep Boys type store? where do I plug this thing to get the code suppose if I can get hold of one?

what do you think happened?
1. Nobody can tell you what happened until you pull the codes.
2. The other information is easily found on Google, but I'll help you out.

Buy an OBD scanner on ebay for $30 or at your local car part store.
Call your local Autozone or similar and ask if they rent one.
Post in your local subforum and see if anyone can loan you one.
OBD port location is in your owner's manual (free pdfs of Honda's website).
Either by driver's left knee under the dash or right knee by the side of the radio.

Anything could have happened. I assume you're not the original owner or else you'd have the owner's manual.

Most likely scenarios (since the plugs were okay):
1. Ran low on oil without checking frequently.
2. Misshift and cracked retainer sometime in the life of the car with the valve finally dropping.

Best case scenario: clogged / bad injector.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:34 AM

thanks. I haven't look at the manual at all. I will try to poke around down there to see if I can fine a port.

I am the original owner. It has not been abused or miss shift. It doesn't get rev to red line. I get it up to 7000rpm may be 20 times since I own the car. My usual shift is around 5-6000 rpm. the oil level is usually right on since it is nnot my daily driver. Tell me about running low on oil, can you please. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The OBD2 port is on the passenger side near the transmission tunnel under the dash.

GET THE CODES or we CAN NOT help you. Codes are step 1. Anything else is wasting time right now.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 AM

I'll see if I can rent one today.