S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Check engine light came on but no code??

Old 11-02-2020, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light came on but no code??

Hello everyone,
I was driving my 2006 s2000 the other day when out of nowhere the check engine light came on. Luckily with COVID I didn't have anywhere I needed to be so I haven't driven the car since. The check engine light is completely solid, I don't think it even blinked when it initially came on. Just now I got around to pulling code with my flashpro and nothing came up? It just says there is one DTC and the check engine light is on but there is no code anywhere, I refreshed multiple times and checked everywhere. My mods include an HKS hi power cat back, berk hfc, and k&n intake. I was running a pretty basic tune on flashpro, tuned by Jeff Evans of evans tuning. However, i went back to stock and have been running stock tune since back in july when I needed to be stock for smog, I also took off the hfc and installed it back on the car around the same time in order to pass smog. I've never had a check engine light in my entire year and a half or so with the HFC, but thats my best guess at what it could be as my car has been problem free until now and the engine only has 59,000 miles. Any help is really appreciated as I'm a noob and starting to worry here haha. Added photos of what I saw on flashpro as well.
Thanks in advance!

Old 11-02-2020, 07:37 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Any pending codes?
Old 11-03-2020, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Any pending codes?
I didn't see any. I looked everywhere I could but I'm still pretty new to operating flashpro. Are the pending codes something I could've easily missed?
Old 11-03-2020, 04:06 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

You are off protocol, use a regular scanner and the code will be there.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:22 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Since you don't have your own scanner yet, you can go to someplace like AutoZone, and they will read the code for you for free. They aren't allowed to clear it, but no problem reading it.

Then go to Amazon and look for bluetooth odb reader. Uses an app on your phone, and reader plugs into odb port, then bluetooths the signal to phone. Cheaper than buying a full reader device, and easier to upgrade software. Less clunky user interface as well.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:35 AM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

What does off protocol mean, why can't a Flashpro read all codes?
Old 11-03-2020, 01:07 PM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Yeah skip the flashpro thing and use a code reader. The flashpro is obviously having some issues communicating with the ECU. Especially since it sees that a DTC is set but does not show what it is.

You can get a code reader so cheap nowadays. I think I paid around $30 for my wired one. You can get a BT one for around there too these days. If you are playing with cars it is worth having one in your tool bag. And it keeps you from having to run to Crapo-zone or somewhere else to have someone else pull the codes. And if the car is broken enough to barely run or not run at all, then getting it to someone else to pull the codes is not an option. You can probably find a decent enough reader on Amazon and have it in your hand in a day or two. Worth the money to have.

I used to have a PC based one (stopped working many versions of Windows ago) that was pretty cool, but 99% of the time I just grabbed my cheap one from the box and used it to read codes.

The thing you will not get as often with cheaper ones are mfgr specific code support (aka non generic codes) or you have to pay extra for those, but most of the time working on your own car you can get by with generic codes only.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
You are off protocol, use a regular scanner and the code will be there.
Just borrowed a code reader from a friend and pulled a P0139 - O2 sensor circuit slow response bank 1 sensor 2. Could this be caused by my high flow cat?
Old 11-03-2020, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Yeah skip the flashpro thing and use a code reader. The flashpro is obviously having some issues communicating with the ECU. Especially since it sees that a DTC is set but does not show what it is.

You can get a code reader so cheap nowadays. I think I paid around $30 for my wired one. You can get a BT one for around there too these days. If you are playing with cars it is worth having one in your tool bag. And it keeps you from having to run to Crapo-zone or somewhere else to have someone else pull the codes. And if the car is broken enough to barely run or not run at all, then getting it to someone else to pull the codes is not an option. You can probably find a decent enough reader on Amazon and have it in your hand in a day or two. Worth the money to have.

I used to have a PC based one (stopped working many versions of Windows ago) that was pretty cool, but 99% of the time I just grabbed my cheap one from the box and used it to read codes.

The thing you will not get as often with cheaper ones are mfgr specific code support (aka non generic codes) or you have to pay extra for those, but most of the time working on your own car you can get by with generic codes only.
Unfortunate that flashpro can't pull codes perfectly. Borrowed a code reader from a friend but I'll definitely have to invest into getting one for myself!
Old 11-04-2020, 03:23 PM

Most code readers are OBDII, and read the engine control module, but may not read the body control module or any or the other multitude of computers in the car.

Quick Reply: Check engine light came on but no code??