S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

check engine light

Old 04-19-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just plugged my car in at my buddies shop tonight. Codes that came up were the initial cyl. #1 misfire and now misfire cyls 1 2 3 and 4. As well as a random misfire code. Im going to put the plugs in tomorrow night and then see what happens. Also my buddy suggested running an injector cleaner....so i picked up some 44k..its was like 30bucks i hope it works....haha. anything else i should try ?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:09 PM

I forsee the head coming off and being sent to a machine shop.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Eluded,Apr 19 2006, 10:09 PM
I forsee the head coming off and being sent to a machine shop.
What do you base this on?

The diagnostic process to resolve random misfires can be very extensive and can lead the many things as being done. Taking the head off and sending it to a machine shop is not one of them.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Apr 19 2006, 09:27 PM
What do you base this on?
The crystal ball foresaw his future. It mentioned one misfire would lead to multiple misfires which lead to the compression test that resulted in the head being removed.

Hopefully he swaps the coil packs and the misfires clear up in all four cylinders but highly improbable. On his behalf I will make a sacrifice to the Honda Gods hoping they grant him a CEL free car soon with a low repair bill.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:36 PM

put the plugs in and cleared the codes 2 days ago and have been driving it around to see if the light would stay off. But no such luck. Light just came back on tonight. I put the injector cleaner guess i ll have to drive a bit more to see if it has any affect.
Anybody have any other ideas????
Can t swap coils since all 4 clys. are missfiring.
IM going to plug it in at my buddies garage within the next few days but im sure it will read the same codes.
im driving back home 2000 miles to NY next week and am worried about taking it that far with this light on.
thanks for all the help so far.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had random and multiple misfires it was valve lash. They said my valves had tightened up and needed adjusting. When the dealer was troubleshooting my misfires first they tried to blame the fuel, then they went to plugs and coils, finally a compression and leakdown test and a valve adjustment. Problem solved for me. I'm not saying valve lash is your problem, just trying to provide insight into what steps the dealer was taking to diagnose my problem. Good Luck.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:45 AM

thanks i'll keep that in mind. I might end up taking it to the dealership this week. Im going to see what this injector cleaner does if anything and check my fuel pressure. After that i think honda will be my only recourse.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:04 PM

A lot of us are dealing with what sounds like the same problem: Random misfires at idle, 20K to 60K miles, earlier model years. From reading, it seems nearly endemic to S2Ks, although I would love to learn otherwise.

If you know there was no mechanical overrev, I would say do a search here on the code P1399 and "injector". Read the symptoms, carefully, and see if your case is the same. Car runs great except at idle. When you clear codes, pending code P1399 comes up, let it idle for a while longer and random cylinder codes come up.

From everything I am reading it looks like a fuel system problem, either the injectors or fuel pressure.

Many dealers are taking a long, convoluted process to get to the same place, replacing plugs, replacing MAP sensor, adjusting valves, replacing coilpacks, etc. and that process isn't even in the service manual. That's fine if it's under warranty, but if you are paying for everything that is a very expensive route.

For random misfires, the service manual seems to lead directly to the fuel system mechanics or electronics as I read it.

I was going to replace my injectors, but after reading up I'm taking smaller steps.

I'm first trying some Techron. Next I might have a fuel bar injector cleaning with a more harsh detergent done. Then, maybe remove the injectors and have them professionally cleaned, and flow tested.

However, new injectors only cost $107 each, so if estimates for the other route are higher I might just get the new injectors. Seems to solve the problem (at least temporarily) for everyone who has had this specific problem.

Make sure you know the downsides to this approach because if you have a different problem you could cause a lot of damage.

-if you valvetrain is damaged and you keep running it, you could (you WILL) destroy your engine

-if you are having an electrical/spark/coilpack problem you could be dumping fuel into your cylinders causing two catestrophic events: 1) Obliteration of your catalytic converter and 2) Washing the oil film off the cylinder wall, leading to scoring and complete engine rebuild. Both of these are very expensive repairs.

My feeling is that it is a lack of fuel in the cylinder problem and not a too much unburnt fuel in the cylinder problem. But that is only a guess.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles does the car have?

Do you hear/feel an ocasional puff sound out of the exhaust when behind the car listening? If this is only happening at idle then it's possible that you are having lean misfires caused by sticky injectors at idle. In this case the car will run fine otherwise.

As stated there have been a number of cars with multiple misfire codes that lead to injector replacement even thought car appear to run fine. Injector cleaners can clear it up for a while or even make it worse.

Here's my story Troubleshoot

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:34 PM

my car just hit 80k....i took it to the dealership, they just called today and didnt tell me anything i didnt alreadly know. Misfire cly.1 2 3 4. Which i told them when i took it in. The did a fuel pressure check which came back good. They also said the coils looked fine. so im not sure what the next course of action is if honda couldnt help me. Driving it back to NY on monday. Honda cleared the code...we ll see how far i get till it come back on.

Quick Reply: check engine light