S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

check engine light

Old 04-13-2006, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

i just bought an s2k..only had her 2 days and yesteday morning the check engine light came on. It was checked out at a local parts store and they said it as a "misfire" in cly #1. So i figured id order some plugs and wires to try to cure it. I ordered the plugs but i guess the s2ks have 4 seperate coils?? still very new to the s2k. Parts store didnt have or couldnt get the coils so i called honda. Looks like they are $110 a piece!!! Does anyone know where i can find them cheaper or any other remedies i can try to get this light off.

Light went off for one day then came back on and is still on now.
No idling probs and car seems to run fine.
Honda wants $100 just to check it out.

Any info or advise is appreciated.
thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is very unlikely there is anything wrong with your #1 coil. With the age of your car, new plugs wouldn't be a bad idea but if I were you I'd get them from the dealership; they are around $65 for the set, but they are platinum-tipped long-life plugs so you'll be set for quite a while.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

After you get the new plugs, check them for the proper gap before putting them in. Do them up using the revised torque of 18 lb/ft with anti-seize. Then, if the CEL returns and it's the same code, the next step in the diagnosis would be to switch the coil packs around. After that, it'll be fuel pressure check, etc. and ultimately a new ECU (last and worst case scenario).
Old 04-14-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put in the new plugs and then go to autozone or soemthing and get the code cleared.

If it comes back, you have to swap the coil packs around and see if the CEL shows up on the same cylinder or a different one. We can continue diagnostics from there.

Also, if at any point the CEL starts FLASHING, DO NOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE THE CAR!!!! A flashing CEL can be indicative of something catastrophic. At that point, pull over, and call a flatbed, and get it towed to the dealership.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:51 AM

The plugs just came in today(platinum laser ngk r's) But the check engine light turned it self off after 3 days. I drove it a couple times yesterday seeing if it would come back on but nothing yet. Should i put the plugs in still? Or wait to see if the light comes back? Even though the light is off will a diagnostic show anything? Recent codes?
Also what is the proper gaping for the plugs?
thanks for all the help so far...much appreciated
Old 04-15-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Random misfire codes can come and go. They can return if certain conditions remain over a couple of driving cycles.
Since you have the new plugs (and I can't tell from your description if those are the right ones), put them in and just drive for a while. They should be gapped to about 0.040" to 0.044" (unless there's something about your car that you haven't told us here).
Old 04-15-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i've had this problem, or something of the same symptoms. I ruled out the plugs since dealer replaced them 20k miles ago. Ran a couple of fuel injector cleaners and THE light went away. It'd return, however, in a couple of weeks. This went on for at least 6 months. Just recently a local owner sold me his '03 20k miles fuel injectors and its been running smoother without the CEL. I'm not sure if bad injectors were the culprit, only time will tell. But so far the light hasnt returned.

I'm not saying you will need to replace your injectors, just keep that in mind as a possible problem.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:07 AM

Bad injectors Im sure.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff_s2k,Apr 17 2006, 07:07 AM
Bad injectors Im sure.
I wish I had your crystal ball. I mean to diagnose over the internet and say bad injectors and you're sure of it, dang!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Apr 15 2006, 07:53 AM
Random misfire codes can come and go. They can return if certain conditions remain over a couple of driving cycles.
Since you have the new plugs (and I can't tell from your description if those are the right ones), put them in and just drive for a while. They should be gapped to about 0.040" to 0.044" (unless there's something about your car that you haven't told us here).
car is completely stock exept for k&n air filter. So ill try putting the plugs in with .040 gap. My buddy works at shop so were gonna work on it after hours tomorrow night...ill post after the plugs are changed and tryed swapping the coils
thanks

Quick Reply: check engine light