S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

check engine light?

Old 12-09-2003, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dante(suzuka)
UPDATE: Got the car back. Runs fine, they're ordering an air pump.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:12 PM

Latest news, got the air pump installed, they took it on a test drive and the engine light came on again!!! This time it was 0411 code for the secondary air valve? Or something to that effect. So the story continues, they let me take it home while they order the parts, and I drive it around all week with the check engine light glaring at me This sucks. This really sucks, but it could be worse.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:55 AM

i had the check engine light come on several times when my car was new...knowing how obd-II works...if the cars fine the check engine light would go out after several run cycles where the car cools down atleast 60 degrees farenheit during each cycle....they can take anywhere from 8 cycles to 60 cycles to turn the light off depending what had triggered the light in the first place....meaning if it was a sensor that triggered it and it is in perfect running condition and triggerred it due to a small malfunction....it will take a couple drive cycles to turn your light off with no problems..
Old 12-16-2003, 08:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Dante(suzuka)
Latest news, got the air pump installed, they took it on a test drive and the engine light came on again!!! This time it was 0411 code for the secondary air valve? Or something to that effect. So the story continues, they let me take it home while they order the parts, and I drive it around all week with the check engine light glaring at me This sucks. This really sucks, but it could be worse.
If it is the idle air control valve/solenoid, then yours will the the 3rd "known" car reported on this forum in the last several months with this problem. A new valve "should" resolve your problem.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:10 AM

If it is the "idle air control valve/solenoid" wouldn't that affect my engine at idle? The car runs great. In fact, my engine light went off about a day after I got it back the second time. I'll drop it off one more time tonight and get it tomorrow. It's not a horrible inconvenience since my SO can ferry me back and forth to work and they only keep the car for a few hours, but still... It's a real bitch having your car in the shop once a week and not knowing whats wrong. When should I really start bitching to Honda?
Old 12-18-2003, 07:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If it is the "idle air control valve/solenoid" wouldn't that affect my engine at idle? The car runs great. In fact, my engine light went off about a day after I got it back the second time. I'll drop it off one more time tonight and get it tomorrow. It's not a horrible inconvenience since my SO can ferry me back and forth to work and they only keep the car for a few hours, but still... It's a real bitch having your car in the shop once a week and not knowing whats wrong. When should I really start bitching to Honda?
Not necessarily. This kinda depends on which position it's either "stuck" in or cannot achieve. If it's in a position that it's in for a cold start up, then you "may" not notice anything odd when the car does warm up, however, the computer will know that somethings not quite right and throw a CEL (and you fuel economy might not be as good as it could be).
On a side note, this might still not resolve whatever is going on with your car. As for the bitching at Honda, I think you could probably start NOW. They seem to trivialize the fact that our time is very valuable as is the inconvenience of not having the car to drive.
For almost EVERY CEL, there is a code(s). For these codes, there is a documented set of "tests" that are to be done to narrow down the problem. If you have to go back to the dealer again right away, this usually means that they did not do the correct diagnosis (tests).
Old 12-19-2003, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-19-2003, 10:23 AM

I beleive they did the tests and came to the conclusion that my air pump was bad. They ordered an air pump. One week later they installed the new air pump and then got a new CEL for the air valve that is after the pump. So they ordered that part. This morning they put the new valve in and have not gotten another CEL code. So, it appears to be fixed after three visits to the dealership. My largest problem is that they had to order parts twice. And I had to bring my car in thrice. I suppose the S isn't common enough to keep those things in stock? If they had the parts when they started, they could have fixed it in one day.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:36 PM

I beleive they did the tests and came to the conclusion that my air pump was bad. They ordered an air pump. One week later they installed the new air pump and then got a new CEL for the air valve that is after the pump. So they ordered that part. This morning they put the new valve in and have not gotten another CEL code. So, it appears to be fixed after three visits to the dealership. My largest problem is that they had to order parts twice. And I had to bring my car in thrice. I suppose the S isn't common enough to keep those things in stock? If they had the parts when they started, they could have fixed it in one day.
yes there isn't enough S2000's in existance to justify stocking thousands of dollars of parts at each dearler. especially an air pump, something that usually doesn't go bad. most dealers only stock brake pads, oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, fluids (Because they are generic honda fluids). everything else has to be specially ordered.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:26 AM

UPDATE: It's been about a week since I could post properly. Got my car from the dealer the Friday before xmas. We thought it was fixed. That was a joke. That night after the car had sat for a while I got an engine code Then several more at the beginning of the week. OBD II scanner still read 0410 and 0411. Took the car back in lastnight and the techs are on 'tech line' with Honda to run some more checks today. Odd thing is that the codes were thrown at the beginning of the week, mostly on cold starts, but not in the last few days. Could it be something that only occurs at less than 40 deg. F ? I'm getting really sick of this, but at least if drives fine. Jsut thought I'd let people know

Quick Reply: check engine light?