S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

check engine light?

Old 12-05-2003, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light?

This evening I get back to the Atlanta airport, hop in my car, and bam! The Check Engine light comes on. Not just a flashing 'maint required' light, the engine light came on and stayed on. I first checked my fluids, then ran it at idle to warm it up thinking it might go away. Seemed to run fine so I ran it at very low rpms for a few miles getting out of the airport. The light was still on so I stopped again, checked the gas cap, fluids again, opened the hood to listen...everything seemed fine. So I drove back to Charlotte with the engine light on. So, any guesses? Any suggestions? Big autoX tomorrow that I want to hit, but it's midnight here and I don't have the foggiest idea why that lights on.....any (appreciable) help is needed. No flames.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:16 PM

How many miles do you have. My "maint req" light recently popped on and stayed on about a week ago. Called the dealer and what they said was that it's just a general service reminder. Specifically an oil change and rotation of the tires. Told me it comes on at 37500. Couldn't tell you if it's true though. Hope so.

Johnny
Old 12-05-2003, 08:31 PM

for dante... on a new car the most likely reason the check engine light will come on is if you recently filled gas and for got too click the cap at the time u finshed....turn the cap till it clicks 3-4 times and drive the car 3-4 times if it don't go away
you ned to take it to a shop to hook up a scanner...

to johnny check engine light is different than a maintenance req light... and if i were you i would not take my S to that dealr...cannot do a tire rotation on a S

by the way i do have a snap on scanner and a shop.. but i am in northern VA
karan
Old 12-05-2003, 09:50 PM

vvtli78k, the dealer is actually very knowledgable and also have the best cust. serv. i've ever experienced. I think he just meant a side to side tire rotation, which I can believe, especially with the S2000's agressive camber angle. But you are correct if it is in fact the actual CEL light. Let us know how things go.

Johnny
Old 12-06-2003, 11:16 AM

I seem to recall that there was a way to reset the warning light yourself. Whether this is good or not depends on whether it was triggered by the mileage or perhaps the gas cap issue mentioned above. If it came back on after turning it off though, I would have it checked out by someone that knew what they were doing.

Does anyone have a link to the FAQ that explains how to turn the light off yourself? It's been some time, but I recall something about switching the key on and off or something. Perhaps I'm confusing this with setting up an extra FOB.

-Don
Old 12-06-2003, 01:51 PM

side to side? dre u mean left to right? and right to left..?as far as takin the light off , take the negative battery cable off and the light will go away for 1 or 2 drive cycles.. it is gonna come back if there is a problem...
karan
Old 12-06-2003, 05:15 PM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dzfx
I seem to recall that there was a way to reset the warning light yourself.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

First thing is to ensure the gas cap is on with at least 3 clicks. If this is what it was, it will take several "driving cycles" to shut the CEL off. OR, you could simply pull the "BACK UP" fuse under the dash for 30 seconds (above left side footwell kickpanel). This will turn off the CEL immediately UNLESS there is actually something else wrong with the car, in which case, the light will come back on. Disconnecting the battery will also work but you will need your radio code afterwards. The fuse thing will not disturb the radio.
This is not to be confused with the "Maintenance Required" light, which is only a reminder of needed service at a pre-set mileage interval.

You cannot move the tires from one side of the car to the other as they are unidirectional UNLESS you "unmounted" them, flip them over, then re-mount them and then change sides.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:59 PM

Ok, first it has 10,911 miles. I did check my gas cap and it was on tight. Skipped the AutoX, major bummer. Sat morning I took it to autozone, found my OBD II port and got the CEL code. It had thrown a '410' code twice. Something to do with an air pump? Several people told me that it was fine to drive. I jacked the car up to look for any blocked sensor(leaves, debris?) or something. Maybe a broken vaccum line, but didn't find anything. Finally took it to the dealership yesterday and they will take a look at it Monday Thanks for the ideas and I'll report back when I know something. Anyone else had trouble with an air pump, air line, or oxygen sensor?
Old 12-09-2003, 03:52 AM

UPDATE: Got the car back. Runs fine, they're ordering an air pump.

Question....If my air pump is not working, and air isn't getting to the emmisions system(O2 sensor?). The emmisions system won't be able to tune my air/fuel ratio to burn clean, right? Therefore I could actually have a slightly strong mix of a/f (rich?), giving me slightly more power? Of course, it could also be set to burn super duper clean if it gets no signal from the emmisions sensor. What's your guess?

Quick Reply: check engine light?