S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

check engine light is on...

Old 06-30-2003, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light is on...

first, the "maintenance required" light came on... but i figured that light comes on every 4-5000 miles or so just as a reminder to change the oil... but then about a week ago, the "check engine" light came on... i read the manual and it said that it could be because my gas cap wasnt tightened, but that's not it... i dont know what it could be.... oh, i did install my own air intake about two months ago, but the "check engine" light just came on recently... could this be something serious? thx..
Old 06-30-2003, 04:25 PM

i've checked out this thread https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...hreadid=105368o regarding the correct hose routing for my intake, and i double checked my intake... everything is correct... i also pulled the backup ECU fuse for 30 seconds, but my "check engine" light is STILL on... what else could it be??
Old 06-30-2003, 05:58 PM
Former Sponsor

When I installed intake on my old VW, the oil from intake filter got into MAF sensor which caused engine light warming blinking.

Also simliar thing happens to my friend's dad's porsche where his check engine light blinks every time he drives salty road in winter.
It was salt get into his MAF due to "TOO" free flowing his air filter.

So you might wanna check that.

(This is one of few main reasons I might not get the aftermarket intake system)
Old 06-30-2003, 07:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have double checked your intake hose routing and check valve positioning, then the CEL means it is something else. The light is initiated by one of a gazillion (OK, maybe only a couple dozen) sensors on the car. One of them could be sensing something out of range OR one of them could be malfunctioning OR one of them may have a bad wiring harness connection.
After you tighten a loose gas cap, the CEL will not immediately reset itself. It takes a few "driving cycles" for it to reset.
Only by pulling the code will you know what it is.
ps. If it was something SERIOUS, the CEL will blink.
pps. It is "possible" that you may have a faulty gas cap. Some have reported this.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:29 PM

yea i tightened my gas cap like a week ago, so it's already been a couple driving cycles... but what do you mean by 'valve positioning'??.... also, is it true that because the cell light is on, it is limiting my S2k's power?

also, how can i pull the code? i took my car to the dealership today and they said it would cost $75 just to diagnose the problem.... they said they may or may not be able to cover the problem under warranty, whatever it is...
Old 06-30-2003, 07:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]pps.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2quick4U
[B]yea i tightened my gas cap like a week ago, so it's already been a couple driving cycles... but what do you mean by 'valve positioning'??.... also, is it true that because the cell light is on, it is limiting my S2k's power?
Old 06-30-2003, 08:02 PM

thanks for your help... i think it may be the valve positioning... now, when i installed my after market intake, i bought all new vacuum hoses for the install... do you have the link to your thread regarding the one-way valve, and where it is?? thanks again...
Old 06-30-2003, 08:37 PM

Here it is:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=105368

The check valve thing is only a guess. Your problem may or may not be this. Just trying to eliminate some stuff.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:18 PM

wow... thats exactly what it is... i dont have that valve at all... i must have stupidly taken it off when i installed the CAI... any idea where i can get one? thank you so much viper!

Quick Reply: check engine light is on...