S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Check Engine Light

Old 05-09-2003, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

Okay I know the check engine light topic has been beat to death but this is different, I think. Okay girlfriend goes out and drives the car and brings it back with the check engine light on. The car is stock nothing at all added, so I check the gas cap seat, reset the light and low and behold it comes back on.She thinks that she filled the car up with regular unleaded, that's California regular unleaded by the way. Yes I told her to only put premium in it, but hey mistakes happen. Is that enough to kick on the engine light?
Old 05-09-2003, 08:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My guess would be no. The OBD-II has "rationality logic" that would take several start-up cool downs to trip. Sounds like something other then the gas. Did either you or her rev up the car to show friends? It is very common to trip secondary air DTC's?

Utah
Old 05-10-2003, 05:33 AM

No not her style, however she has a tendency to rev it pretty high before letting the clutch out, but I don't know if that's enough to do it. Well I'll try resetting it again and see what happens, it's coming up on it's 30,000 mile check up. Thanks for the info. Rick
Old 05-10-2003, 06:06 AM

Over a year ago I had a VERY knowledgeable mechanic change out my stock throttle body for a bored out one from Proflow. ** When he was done the CEL was on and no matter what he did he could not get it to go off permanently. He did not have access to the software for the S2000 and said he assumed that the dealer could handle it.

No such luck. I've had the car into the dealer on several occasions since then and they not only could not fix it, they could not even figure out why it was coming on. I've got a Mingster "snorkle" (cold air duct) and a JR filter and the best the dealer could do was to suggest that one of those was the culprit. I must confess that I did NOT tell them about the TB, since I figured that they'd use that against me later if I had an engine problem.

Anyway, bottom line is that it has remained on ever since. It scares me that w/ it always on, I'll never know if something actually is wrong when it happens.

** NOTE: I dynoed the car after the Proflow install and got not even a hint of increased power. As I understand it, that has been everyone's experience. Looks like the Proflow TB is a waste of time and money unless you go FI and even then I don't know if it actually does any good.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:12 PM

Great I'll see what happens when I pull the code. Thanks guys.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:37 AM

OBD-II are anal in detecting anythin out the ordinary. Even the slight change of air flow can trigger the engine check light. Mine came on because the car ran rich.

Get rid of your Girlfriend HAHAHAHA just kidding

Tuner
Old 05-11-2003, 12:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Verify that the wires to the Manifold Absolute pressure (MAP) and Throttle position sensor (TPS) are tight and "clicked" in place. If they are try tapping on the MAP sensor with a screwdriver. Reset your ECU and see if that doesn't resolve your problem.

Utah
Old 05-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Former Moderator

can anyone tell me where the OBD2 port on the s2k is? I have an obd2 scanner but have yet to find the port on this car. No CEL yet but it's good to know just in case.

Karim
Old 05-12-2003, 04:31 AM

The OBD2 port is under the dash on the passenger side.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Former Moderator

thanx and here I am looking under the drivers side the whole time. doh!

Karim

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light