S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

cheap chassis stiffening

Old 02-15-2007, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap chassis stiffening

hey guys, have anyone heard of putting that urethane foam inside the chassis tube of the car. many jdm tuners such as spoon and jun uses this technique on their cars and they claim that this is very good way to add stiffness to the chassis with very very minimal weight addition. i have done this to my old EG before and i felt a noticable difference but not as much comparingto getting a full roll cage, but it does realy help especially to my old EG, BUT MY QUESTION IS, DOES THIS modification WILL HELP OUR S2000 OR NOT? HAS ANYONE HAVE DONE THIS IN THEIR S2000?TNX AND GODBLESS.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:23 PM

Sounds interesting, and i never thought of this- More info!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cannot imagine how something with so little structural rigidity as urethane could add anything to the stiffness of our chassis. I suspect it functions more as a vibration dampening material and gives the perception of increased rigidity. That's desireable by itself, so may be worth doing.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:26 AM

I used it on an old '91 B13 Nissan and it worked GREAT! It is a little pricey and you cannot use the type at Home Depot. Potentially messy too.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like a lot of trouble and mess for little gain in a car as stiff as the S already is. Try it and keep us informed of how well it works, you may be onto something there.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:13 AM

^^ It is a lot of trouble; removing interior sufficiently for starters, but in the B13 case for me, it helped tremendously and there was minimal weight penalty. The car was much tighter and just felt more solid (then again it was nearly 15 years old when I did it). The B13 was surely not designed as a true sports car from scratch like the S, so the benefits may not be as dramatic.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard it will cause your frame to rust because their is nowhere for water to evacuate. Let me know if I'm wrong.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by TrackStar,Feb 16 2007, 08:14 AM
I heard it will cause your frame to rust because their is nowhere for water to evacuate. Let me know if I'm wrong.
I am not sure of this, however it does make sense. For the B13 I did previously, it was known which areas to do and which not to do. I did the bottom rocker panel on both sides. I guess one thing to think about is if there is no place for the moisture to get "IN" then there is no need to get "out".

One thing that was very important during the procedure is to make sure the void was perfectly dry and clean.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Urethane foam is VERY rigid. It varies by density as to how rigid it is, but I would say that it is a worthwhile project if you don't mind going through the trouble of researching it and proper cleaning.

BTW, this isn't just coming from nowhere. My senior Mechanical Systems Design class just finished a two week research/testing cycle on various 2-part urethane foams. One of my friends (also in that class) just filled his A,B, and C pillars, along with the rockers in his 240sx and there is a noticeable difference.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

trucks from (GM or FORD?) come with this in the chassis/frame whatever from the factory. Remember the commercial with the heat activated foam in the pillars?

Quick Reply: cheap chassis stiffening