S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Chassis Reinforcement

Old 08-04-2002, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by cthree
You guys are smoking too much crack. Not a single person on this thread, probably on this site requires any sort of chassis stiffiner. Why not solve a problem that actually exists?

Bling bling baby
lol, the lack of a roof is a problem for chassis rigidity. You can't argue against that.
Old 08-04-2002, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by vapors2k

lol, the lack of a roof is a problem for chassis rigidity. You can't argue against that.
Actually I can. Is your cage welded to the frame? If not it won't stiffen it. Can you show proof that a cage adds stiffnes? Have you or anyone else measured it?

Also, do you need it? Would you notice the difference? How? How much flex is there in the stock frame?

Like I said, there is nothing to show that the chassis requires any stiffening whatsoever. Having driven mine for more than 2 years now I can tell you it doesn't. The S2000 has NO perceivable chassis flex. What flex there may be has NO impact on handling or performance. So if it's not needed then why do it?

Your's is a solution in search of a problem.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just curious about the stiffness on the s2k. I feel that the chassis is quite stiff, and after viewing some comments, together with the light rear end, it has a tenacy to snap oversteer. Can anyone confirm this comment. If so, would the STB's and X brace add to this characteristics? I love the rigidity of the chassis as is, but wondered about the advantages and disadvantages of chassis stiffening products.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by cthree

Actually I can. Is your cage welded to the frame? If not it won't stiffen it. Can you show proof that a cage adds stiffnes? Have you or anyone else measured it?

Also, do you need it? Would you notice the difference? How? How much flex is there in the stock frame?

Like I said, there is nothing to show that the chassis requires any stiffening whatsoever. Having driven mine for more than 2 years now I can tell you it doesn't. The S2000 has NO perceivable chassis flex. What flex there may be has NO impact on handling or performance. So if it's not needed then why do it?

Your's is a solution in search of a problem.
My advice for you is to drive a car with either a bolt in or welded in cage and see the difference for yourself. I would think it to be very hard to come up with a conclusion like yours and to make such a hasty assumption without driving a car with a cage to see that the chassis does flex and handling can be improved with chassis reinforcement.

-ardy
Old 08-05-2002, 06:04 PM
Administrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spanky
[B]I was just curious about the stiffness on the s2k.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:08 PM
Administrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vapors2k
[B]

My advice for you is to drive a car with either a bolt in or welded in cage and see the difference for yourself. I would think it to be very hard to come up with a conclusion like yours and to make such a hasty assumption without driving a car with a cage to see that the chassis does flex and handling can be improved with chassis reinforcement.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Speed and Spoon STBs are virtually identical. Both are manufactured by Spoon. The only difference is the upper mounts do not have "Spoon" stamped on to them.

RE cage argument: The S2000 is the stiffest convertible chassis I've ever driven. However, you can never be "too stiff" in terms of a chassis. In other sports cars with well engineered chassis, such as the NSX, cages do add slightly to the chassis rigidity. However, this is really only perceivable at the limits of the car on a race track.

I imagine the cage as shown will improve the chassis rigidity of the S2000, especially with cross members. However, the question is, how much and is it more than a trivial amount? I can't say anything to that because I haven't driven a S2000 on the track with a 4 point cage.

The fact is, the cage's primary purpose in life is for safety vs. chassis rigidity, so it's a trivial point to argue about trivial rigidity gains However, I would argue that although the cage may be more solid if welded to a frame, a bolted-in cage would be nearly as effective, especially if plated. You'll see this in NSX race cars a lot as the steel cages can not be welded to the aluminum chassis. PD Cunningham's NSX and my previous cage design in my NSX are examples of this.

Even then, I think the concern of bolted-in cages are more of a safety concern that performance one.

Regards,
-- Chris