S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Chassis Reinforcement

Old 07-30-2002, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a comptech stb with 3mm custom plates that match the the bottom of the brace, this helps clear the aem cai and is s/c compatible.

as far as the lower rear brace that is stock, I took it off the car and replaced it with the spoon, I could step on the stock brace and bend it with my foot, IMO the stock brace doesn't do shit, I got a cusco rear upper brace to replace the stock rear upper brace that is in the trunk for those that don't know where it is. I feel a difference in the rear stability of the car.

X-Brace, Digrappa billet aluminum black iodize coating.-this is the one that makes a superior difference. Mark Digrappa is the only x-brace manufacture that has done a torsional test that proves his brace does enhance the chassis.

I feel that the 4 braces total have improved the chasis of the car, handling is crisper and sharper. I turn and point the car and it goes where I want it to.

I have auto-x three times, life time all in this car, I am able to compete with 10-12 yr veterans that I have other modifications that are similar.

I did learn about the car first and the first brace I got was comptech, 2) x-brace, then both upper and lower braces.

take my word for what it is worth, I feel the dollars spent is justified, oh and my car is a daily driver.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fyi, there is no rear strut tower bar either. just an upper chassis brace.

the additional comptech bars go - 1) in the rear, underneath the car and 2) on the rear portion of the x-brace if you have one of those. they are just replacement pieces. VERY nice pieces indeed.

and again, it doesn't matter which x-brace you choose, they all do the same thing functional wise.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:56 PM

those x-braces did the NSX type r a damn god well of changing the handling characteristics, but besides x braces, what else is required to make it work well besides the better suspension? should the upper and lower arms be in place as well?
Old 07-30-2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed

All three are manufactured by Spoon. They even come in Spoon boxes, however, the Speed strut tower brace does not have the Spoon logo stamped in to the tower brackets.
the Speed and Spoon STBs look a bit different.

Speed:

Spoon:

the Speed unit looks quite a bit beefier, and it looks just like the Cusco STB....unless i need corrective lenses.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:19 PM

basic science.

structural speaking, when a home is made you have a frame, you make a frame by reinforcement from top bottom and 2 sides, inter lacing reinforcement. A box or square.

Why else would we have an( I )beam running across the front end of the car? has anyone noticed this? or are you blind? that is a mid centrally located chassis brace if you will; I beam, side walls of the inner fenders, add a brace across the top, x-brace across the bottom and what do you have? a nice geometrical sound box.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:50 AM

The ultimate solution would be the new spoon 7 point cage, cucso bars, front and rear spoon cross frames. And front crosbar. That would button up the chassie nice and tight. I will be doing all of this except for the roll cage at some point. THat is until I can find a premade cage that will let me use my stock seats and keep the soft top in working order.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:00 PM

just keeping this thread alive
Old 08-03-2002, 03:19 AM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed used Cusco b4.. their new bars are same as spoon
Old 08-04-2002, 08:03 PM

my solution to chassis stiffening:

Old 08-04-2002, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are smoking too much crack. Not a single person on this thread, probably on this site requires any sort of chassis stiffiner. Why not solve a problem that actually exists?

Bling bling baby

Quick Reply: Chassis Reinforcement