S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Changing out Intake Manifold

Old 09-02-2005, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing out Intake Manifold

Hi, I'm considering a new polished intake manifold.
I have looked into the removal and install proceedure,
I have got a list of gaskets and O-rings that need to be replaced.

Everything seems do-able, but I would really like to get some first hand
information from someone who has done this and remembers things to look out for or techniques that will save time....

Bleeding Fuel pressure has me a little concerned -and I think I'll be needing another o-ring after doing that too ( not on my list ... time to consult the Service manual again)

Any insight would be appreciated
Old 09-02-2005, 01:57 PM

Everyone I know who has removed the Intake manifold says the same thing. NEVER EVER do it. It is the biggest PITA on this car to remove.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:25 PM

I was just out looking at the engine to apply all the info I've learned in the service manual..... I think I'm in agreement!

3 of the 4 bottom bolts look like they are impossible to get at.
also, there's no step by step in the manual - it just shows the exploded view... what goes where (which would be enough if I could get to everything lol )

If there's any S2000 Mechanic GURU's out there that can, show me the way through the maze - I'd be greatful.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:54 PM

I have done several Hondata gasket installs and if you find those threads you will find a DIY and the tools required to do it! I hope you are putting on a Hondata gasket while you are doing the swap The important thing to do is label tape on the hoses you remove! This will save you from major headaches when re installing everything - I know of at least two people that mixed up the vaccum/coolant lines on the side of the throttle body and ended up dumping coolant directly into the intake manifold!

http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/

Here is a great write up !
Add to his tool list a 12 mm shallow swivel socket, I bought one in 3/8 and 1/4 drive at Sears! this is for the bolts underneath the manifold and I put thin strips of duct tape on the bolt heads before I put them in the socket to line them back in the holes underneath so the little bitches didn't fall out of the socket while I was fishing for the hole! Don't forget locktite and a dental mirror helped me !!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 03:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ztec,Sep 2 2005, 02:54 PM
I know of at least two people that mixed up the vaccum/coolant lines on the side of the throttle body and ended up dumping coolant directly into the intake manifold!

http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/

Here is a great write up !
Add to his tool list a 12 mm shallow swivel socket, I bought one in 3/8 and 1/4 drive at Sears! this is for the bolts underneath the manifold and I put thin strips of duct tape on the bolt heads before I put them in the socket to line them back in the holes underneath so the little bitches didn't fall out of the socket while I was fishing for the hole! Don't forget locktite
haha...I'm sorry but thats funny
Old 09-02-2005, 03:08 PM

What'e even more funny was they were sucking coolant out of the cylinders with straws
No damage done - they caught it in time before a Hydrolock!
Old 09-02-2005, 03:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thank god!
Old 09-02-2005, 04:21 PM

I'm gonna take the info you provided and come up with a plan of attack
Looks like I need to get a few tools first though.

Thank You all very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:22 PM

well don't think its too easy but just make sure that you label everything that you take off and where they go it'll make it a lot easier for you when you put everything back on. I also did the hondata gasket mod and it wasn't that big of a deal except that one bolt closet to the fire wall which you have to take out the coolant temp sensor to reach/ make it easy to get to. but the whole thing was done id say in about 5 hours or so. but that was jst taking out the gasket and putting in the new one. if you got any more questions just pm im more then happy to help
Old 09-03-2005, 05:08 PM

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

take off the tensioner pulley/bracket and the alternator. it may seem excessive but it makes getting to the bottom bolts MUCH easier. i promise its worth it.

Quick Reply: Changing out Intake Manifold