S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Changing Headlight Bulbs?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changing Headlight Bulbs?

Hey I was just wondering, is it possible to buy a different color HID bulb for our cars? If so what size would it be? Like if you just wanted something a little more blue or a different color. Since it already has oem HID.....lol
Thanks!
-Justin
Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Do the rest of the drivers in the population a favor and don't get any bluer of a bulb. That's glare big time in other peoples eyes.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Do the rest of the drivers in the population a favor and don't get any bluer of a bulb. That's glare big time in other peoples eyes.
What are you talking about?? You only get "glare" when you use HID's on headlights that are not designed for HID's. Our headlights are designed for HID's, so it shouldn't be a problem no matter what color HID's you use.
To the OP yes you can use 6000k 8000k or 10000k HID's without a problem, the higher you go the more blue and the less the light output.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Sorry S2000maniac, I trump you on this one. I'm an optometrist and as such, I know a lot about light and vision. All factors being equal, the bluer the light is, the more light scatter in the air, windshield and the lens inside your eye. In fact, this is why the sky is blue!

If you were to get a bluer bulb, but with the exact same dimensions (meaning the filament is fitted the exact same way, it fits in the socket the same way, the length of the bulb and filament is the same, etc,) then you may not get much glare.

But, there are a lot of POS replacement bulbs out there, so no guarantees.

If you want to research HID bulbs, go to http://www.hidplanet.com/
Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never seen an optometrist own someone until now...
Old 11-15-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Yeah, I don't buy the optometry argument. Its based on solid science but doesn't come to the correct conclusions for this argument.

Yes blue light (short wavelength) tends to scatter more easily as it travels, but that has nothing to do with a light bulb giving off bluer light.

Best light output is 5300-5600k, yellower is below that, bluer above that. I believe OEM is 5300k. With a proper light fixture to direct the beam (projector assembly like the S2000 has), you won't notice scatter in a headlight's effective range, just the predominant color.

OP, you can change your HID bulbs but anything over 6000k is not going to be as bright.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1321391284' post='21158710
Sorry S2000maniac, I trump you on this one. I'm an optometrist and as such, I know a lot about light and vision. All factors being equal, the bluer the light is, the more light scatter in the air, windshield and the lens inside your eye. In fact, this is why the sky is blue!

If you were to get a bluer bulb, but with the exact same dimensions (meaning the filament is fitted the exact same way, it fits in the socket the same way, the length of the bulb and filament is the same, etc,) then you may not get much glare.

But, there are a lot of POS replacement bulbs out there, so no guarantees.

If you want to research HID bulbs, go to http://www.hidplanet.com/
??? well ofcourse there is some sort glare to be expected since its not an OEM bulb... i was just stating the fact that our headlights are designed for HID therefore it will not cause as much as glare as some headights that are not designed for HID.

BTW keep that "I'm an optometrist and as such" shiit to yourself.

Hey, sorry to offend you that I have some experience and expertise in this area. Aside from my occupation, headlight design and lighting has been a passion of mine for 30 years. Since back when I replaced the headlights on my parents american cars with Cibie Z-Beams that had H4 halogen lights.

You're swearing was uncalled for.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Yeah, I don't buy the optometry argument. Its based on solid science but doesn't come to the correct conclusions for this argument.

Yes blue light (short wavelength) tends to scatter more easily as it travels, but that has nothing to do with a light bulb giving off bluer light.

Best light output is 5300-5600k, yellower is below that, bluer above that. I believe OEM is 5300k. With a proper light fixture to direct the beam (projector assembly like the S2000 has), you won't notice scatter in a headlight's effective range, just the predominant color.

OP, you can change your HID bulbs but anything over 6000k is not going to be as bright.
Why do you think that it "has nothing to do with a light bulb giving off bluer light". If bluer light scatters more, and you have more of it, then why wouldn't it scatter more?

I do agree that the proper color temperature would be about 5300-5700K. This most closely approximates daylight in the afternoon.

Although the S2k and TL projectors are some of the best and highly sought after by the aftermarket, a good beam pattern also requires proper bulb design. If the bulb filament, fitment, base or anything else off by just 1-2mm, it will completely change the beam pattern. This is a well know design issue with replacement bulbs.

Again, some reading on www.hidplanet.com would explain this concept well.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

On one hand you are talking about refraction (wavelength) as light travels and "breaks" apart, on the other, a source being blue, which is related to the color temp. They are not the same.

At any rate, "blue" headlight bulbs (above 6500k or so) are not worth the money imo - they are not only not as bright, the blue light also flattens things at night and makes it harder to see depth.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Chill out guys.

Maniac (apt name BTW), if someone is an optometrist (I originally read it as optimist, maybe I need glasses) they might have spent a bit of time studying light and the way it refracts through different materials. I'd say that qualifies them to speak authoritatively on the subject and it's up to you whether or not you learn from their experience. But don't respond with foul language or you'll be shown the door.

Quick Reply: Changing Headlight Bulbs?