S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Changing the "break-in" oil

Old 04-12-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Threads pointing to controversy:
Most recent, sort of implies a change of break in where Road Rage says "For break-in if you have drained the factory fill,":
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=375520

"blackstone laboritories who is an independent oil tester "'s take on break in oil:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...=0&#entry187758
There doesn't seem to be any strong supported rebuttal in there.

Threads from our very own Oil Journals!
Road Rage did his first oil change at 850 miles!
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191704

Another thread where RR lists the early change as an
Old 04-12-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nothing, I've read all those threads you linked and probably a few more when they first were posted. It must be they way I interpret those threads because I really see no "controversy". Rather, I see topics where Road Rage responds to what you can do "if" you dumped your oil early and that was to use a good "dino" oil with a high moly additive.
With the exception of this one post:
I changed my oil at 850 miles and went with a quality mineral oil with the MLEP additive. That way i figure I get rid of any residue from mfr'g out of the engine, while providing it with plenty of break-in protection.
Noone has really stated why they would dump the factory oil early. Even this statement by RR is one of personal choice (of which any one of us still has). I don't think this was backed up by anything real, only his gut feeling that there might be residue that was still present. Again, I don't see any controversy.

Please do note that I am one of those who do not believe in this special factory break-in oil. Honda may have stated something to that effect but has never stated what those components may be. It is in my opinion (and only mine) that Honda had other reasons for the average S2000 owner to wait a bit before changing the oil for the first time. Personally, I would have no qualms about dumping that first load of oil at a thousand miles except that I don't see the need, both from an economical standpoint and from a mechanical standpoint.

ps. I am still waiting to collect a sample of "dealer" fill oil after an S2000 short block replacement. If the analysis comes back looking like "factory" fill, this will give us a better grasp on exactly what this fuss is all about. Dealers won't have that same secret formula factory oil. They just put ordinary every day oil off the shelf into a rebuild. This only similarity between an original factory built engine and a dealer rebuild is the liberal use of assembly lube.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nothing235,Apr 12 2006, 09:37 AM
Threads pointing to controversy:
Most recent, sort of implies a change of break in where Road Rage says "For break-in if you have drained the factory fill,":
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=375520
first, proper "breakin" on this car takes 7500 miles or so because of our FRM cylinder walls. so, in RR's case, he had to change the factory fill well before this 7500 mile mark because he reached the TIME limit on his oil. you changed oil based on mileage or time, whichever comes first.

so, he's saying for people who change the oil before 7500 miles, that is what you should do.

"blackstone laboritories who is an independent oil tester "'s take on break in oil:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...=0&#entry187758
There doesn't seem to be any strong supported rebuttal in there.
where here does it say you should change your oil at 1600 miles? I didn't even have to go past the first post to find this!! Look:

[QUOTE]>Hi,
>
>I've been having your lab do analysis on two of my cars. Now I've obtained
>a 3rd car, 2001 Honda S2000.......
Old 04-12-2006, 08:39 AM

Ahhh, Wisconsin picked out the crucial element in all of this that I overlooked ................................... TIME! Many of those who dump the first oil at very low mileage did so due to running up to the TIME guideline in the maintenance schedule. Please do not use these as examples for you to decide whether or not you should dump your factory oil out.
I think we have just solved this "controversy".
Old 04-12-2006, 09:57 AM

[QUOTE=Wisconsin S2k,Apr 12 2006, 08:32 AM]The only other thing he mentions is this: "The MaxLife additive also has high levels of detergents which would be a benefit in a new engine to suspend the assembly materials that often get into the inititial fill. That is one reason why some of us would like to change out the oil at 1K miles."
Old 04-12-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nothing235,Apr 12 2006, 11:57 AM
I stated that I was considering changing my oil early. I also stated that the reasons for this were that there was some controversey on this board.
There is no controversy, when you're looking at the knowledgeable members of this forum. Nowhere in any of the posts above did any knowledgeable member say you should change your factory oil out ASAP. In fact, just the opposite.

The controversey that I thought I had found was what you just stated; that there are assembly materials in the initial fill that could possibly be harmful to the engine.
once again, no one stated this at all. you're telling us it's a "controversy" on this board, when it isn't! lol

A couple more additions to my confusion:
Also I noticed RR giving props to someone(Bob) who kept their earlier OCIs shorter than Hondas recomended. No mention of time, so I assumed time wasn't the issue here.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=198014
RR is complimenting "Bob" on his thorough research into the topics, and his openness to discover knowledge regarding oils. nowhere did RR says "congrats for you for sticking with 3k oil changes!" In fact, read more of RR's posts.... he states the exact opposite, that with the quality of today's oils, 3k oil changes are a thing of the past and nothing more than a waste.

Additionally the AU has an initial oil change at 600 miles. I wondered why this is, and if it were possibly better for long term reliability?
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...=0&#entry513314
i that seems misleading. never has anyone from AU stated that the honda owner's manual says to change out the oil at 600 miles. here is an Official release to dealerships regarding oil and S2000's.

you may have to click on this a few times and then "magnify" it once you can click on it and do so
Old 04-12-2006, 12:47 PM

When you are new to a forum it is often difficult to differentiate the 'Knowledgable members' from the ones who are talking out of their ass. I singled out RR because he seemed to back up almost all his information with numbers and other 'proof'. I at first also missed the time issue when reading about his 850 mile oil change, and this is probably what sparked my interest in an early oil change.

Whew! I think I finally found it! I'm not a crazy person making crap up! Here is a post about the AU 600 mile change, and why it might be a good idea. I do believe this is the one that truly led to my confusion:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry3254077

I apologise for it taking me so long to find it!
Old 04-12-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing,
I recommend that you wait until 3750 miles (I could only wait until 3300 miles because I'm still kinda "old school"), find a good SL or SM or GF-4 10W30 oil with high moly content (many of them seem to have it now without adding anything) and change your oil and filter. Then continue to drive your car like you stole it until the car is properly broken in! Have fun and don't look back.
Jack
Old 04-12-2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by nothing235,Apr 12 2006, 01:47 PM
When you are new to a forum it is often difficult to differentiate the 'Knowledgable members' from the ones who are talking out of their ass. I singled out RR because he seemed to back up almost all his information with numbers and other 'proof'. I at first also missed the time issue when reading about his 850 mile oil change, and this is probably what sparked my interest in an early oil change.

Whew! I think I finally found it! I'm not a crazy person making crap up! Here is a post about the AU 600 mile change, and why it might be a good idea. I do believe this is the one that truly led to my confusion:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry3254077

I apologise for it taking me so long to find it!
You are most diligent for finding this and as you can see by my reply in that thread, I've never been one to believe in that magic factory fill. However, just as one can find rationalization for dumping it early, you can also find rationalization for leaving it in.
My point was simply to not let any one side of the story affect your own decision entirely. Dump it early, leave it in - it's up to you. I don't think any harm will come either way. For economic reasons, I said why rush it. And you can't go wrong by following what it says in the owner's manual.
BTW, Road Rage is an oil expert by trade and his posts can be considered completely reliable.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:01 PM

I am now planning on waiting til ~3750 and then changing it with 5 qts of Havoline GF-4 and the 15 oz. bottle of Valvoline Synpower Oil Additive. Hopefully this way I will get the best of both worlds, leaving the oil in for a 'reasonable' amount of time according to Honda, but still changing it somewhat early, and adding back in some of the good additives!
Thanks all for the advice, it has been truly helpful.

Oh, and I always drive it like I stole it! (Since the 600 miles break in was up at least )

Quick Reply: Changing the "break-in" oil