S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Changing the "break-in" oil

Old 04-11-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I just got my car 3 months ago, I saw some post said the new '06 maintenance minder display is just like a fancy clock.
After 2 1/2 months driving experience, I disagree! Because I start to race w/ VTEC about 1500 miles (i accept any challenger, and ran from 0 up to 145mph so far), I can feel the maintenance minder display # will drop quickly without notice. But the first 1500 miles, I keep the break-in period (never exceed 5K rpm) until 1500 miles (manual said first 600 miles), if I keep that period promise I think I can save the first oil change until 7000 miles.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by RadioZero,Apr 11 2006, 04:04 PM
i plan to change at 3000 miles +/-, regardless of what the Honda oil computer tells me
2006 owner's manual

→ Break-in Period: Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time *the engine oil from Honda factory isn't a cheap oil, it contain a material to help your engine break-in

→ Engine Oil Life Indicator: Based on the engine operating conditions and accumulated engine REVOLUTIONS (not by time or distance), the onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the remaining engine oil life and displays it as a percentage

Our country is freedom whatever...
Old 04-11-2006, 04:26 PM

How does "engine oil life" indicator on the 06' know when the oil needs changing? does it send a sample to blackstone labs? and is this a accurate assessment of the oil condition?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:26 PM

If I was you, I would change factory filled oil at 3750 miles as it was under severe schedule with Havoline GF-4 5W20 and adding one 15 oz bottle Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment.

VSOT is very thick, it will thicken the 5W20 to about 30 weight and Havoline GF-4 5W20 is very high in Moly, up to 400 ppm. This and more than 200 ppm of Moly in VSOT will make your oil close to factory filled oil in Moly count. Use the same formula for second oil change at 7500 miles.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a brand new 05...and will change no sooner than 3750.

the service manual, my local honda dealer, and people on this board recommend the same.

just check oil levels at every fill-up.

enjoy!
Old 04-11-2006, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm at 6600 miles, haven't changed the oil yet. I might soon. Owners manual says first oil change at 7500 miles. I haven't changed the oil because the owners manual, Hardtopguy, and Billman250 said leave the break in oil in until 7500 as it has the additives needed to break the engine in correctly. I will do my first oil change pretty soon probably as I think I've gotten all I can get out of the break in oil, in which I will do once dose of non synthetic oil before switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic. What's a good oil to follow the break in stuff? Do you guys think it's a good idea to go straight to synthetic? I'm sure many will dis agree with this but like someone stated above,
Honda engineers > Customers.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nothing235,Apr 11 2006, 03:21 PM
The reason for me considering NOT following Honda's recommendation is things I've been reading on this forum. I keep reading recomendations that the first few oci's to be extra-short because of how dirty the break in oil gets during the first few thousand miles. It is possible that the engine will last longer if I do an early first oil change, and since I plan on keeping it forever, I want it to last as long as possible/do what is best for my engine wear-wise.
I'm not sure where you're reading this information, but the KNOWLEDGEABLE people on this forum will tell you to leave the factory oil in until 4000 miles or 7500 miles depending on driving conditions or 6 months if that amount of time passes first.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RadioZero,Apr 11 2006, 05:04 PM
as an '06 owner, i am somewhat concerned leaving the factory fill in for an extended time/miles. i plan to change at 3000 miles +/-, regardless of what the Honda oil computer tells me.

this topic and breakin period are always a fire storm on any of the newer car website.

my engine breakin was aggressive but not abusive, therefore i feel i should change the oil whenever i feel like it.... which happens to be around 3000 miles.
3000 mile oil changes are a waste. you can wait til about 5000 miles with regular oil. If you're using synthetic then that's 2x the waste, since those can easily go to 7500+ miles.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought there was quite a bit of controversy on the board concerning it
I've been here for a long time and I must have missed those posts. If you find them, please post up the links here. I'd like to see for myself what was said and whether or not those posts were offered a strong rebuttal later in the thread. I do recall the occasional post where an owner stated that he wanted to get that break in oil out early and quite a few replies ensued saying that it was a bad idea.

When I just got my car 3 months ago, I saw some post said the new '06 maintenance minder display is just like a fancy clock.
I'm afraid that it may have been me offering a guess on the subject. If you had continued to read further in that thread, you would have seen that someone in the know explained the complexity of this "clock" and I yielded to that higher authority.

The trouble with reading stuff on the forum, is that unless you read the whole thread to the end, you may miss the posts the offer strong rebuttals to the first posts.

[QUOTE]How does "engine oil life" indicator on the 06' know when the oil needs changing? does it send a sample to blackstone labs?
Old 04-12-2006, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only had 3200 miles before I changed out my engine oil for the first time. The reason being that it had been almost 7 months since I got the car. I followed the break-in procedure exactly as stated in the manual (rpm <4k, varying rpms, no full throttle, lots of sub 4k engine braking etc.) I put in Havoline 10w-30. I'll do that again at 6k and 9k and than probably switch to a synthetic. Add a engine additive with moly if it makes you feel better, but I would not lose any sleep over this.

Quick Reply: Changing the "break-in" oil