S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

changed sparkplugs, found rust

Old 06-17-2004, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured the cylinder included what you stated, and the spark plugs and up. What do you call the area where the spark plugs are? Then I'll know from now on what to call it. Sparkplug housing maybe?

Also, I appologize. I didn't see that you quoted me when you asked for more clarification. I only saw your words in the post and thought you were more or less picking on me for not knowing the only part other than the spark plug that I pull out when changing the plugs. I really got ticked, especially with it coming from you, thinking you were making fun of me for not knowing the name of the part that I assumed everyone would know. I thought I narrowed it down to the sparkplug wiring or whatever that black thing is, and the actual sparkplug. When I read everyone else's posts, I realized that my idea of cylinder was incorrect. I know that the cylinder is where the piston moves up and down, but I also figured the sparkplugs were part of the cylinder too, and that saying I changed the spark plugs would let everyone know that I'm only referring to the "top part" of what I thought the whole "cylinder" was.

I appologize again, and once I read my post, realized how much of an ass I was.

Dave
Old 06-17-2004, 11:04 AM

The rust...as I see it, was all over the sparkplug that I pulled out, and was on the very bottom of that black thing that I keep referring to. If it's not rust, it sure does a good immitation. My main concern was that it could somehow get down into the area with the piston and cause damage. I don't know how water got in there in the first place, so I'm trying to find any ideas on how to prevent it, unless this is common. I have never seen it in any other car I've owned though. If there is a possibility of it getting to the pistons, is it possible for me to clean it up now, and try to prevent it from happening again, or should I not worry about it.

Dave
Old 06-17-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The "net" can give the wrong perceptions sometimes, so let's try this again.

The spark plug hole is where the plug screws in. The thing that clips on top of each plug is the "coil pack" assembly. This sits in the spark plug access hole. If you are seeing brown deposits on the coil pack, then this is most likely not rust. It could be the plastic/rubber material of the coil pack sleeve releasing its chemicals as it cures and the intense heat in that area is baking it, making it look brownish. If you are talking about the bottom of the ceramic part (white part) of the spark plug (next to where the wrench grabs it), then this is also due to the intense heat. It's the color of "baked" ceramics. If you are talking about the actually spark plug tip that is in the combustion chamber, then this is "like" rust but it's more the deposits resulting from the combustion process and is normal. If you look down the spark plug hole onto the top of the piston, you will also see something that resembles "rust". This brown material is also similar to what you see on the spark plug tip. None of these things is anything to concern yourself with. It's not like your engine is rusting away. Aluminum will "oxidize" (rusting) but this takes a long time and is not going to be a major concern in this case.
Do you wash your engine? If so, it is also possible that water "could" find its way into the coil pack area. This water picks up dirt and grime along the way and once subjected to the heat, will bake itself dry and leave a residue. Again, nothing to worry about.
In future, if you are at a loss for technical descriptions, perhaps a picture would be of tremendous benefit. Over the "net", the only thing we can go on are words and as you have seen, your words used to describe your situation was quite contradictory.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:35 AM

From your description I'm thinking it's the chemicals. I don't wash my engine...and I really started freaking out after paying for all the damages done to my car in the past year...thinking I might have to replace my engine if the "rust" spread. Now with the coil packs, I could probably change those out right? How often should I do that? I had a guy tune my car locally and do a horrible job...went through sparkplugs once every month or so. Now I've got it tuned properly (flew sean from torquefreaks out of oregon to do it) and things are running much smoother. So I think I'll go ahead and change the coil packs now.

Again, man...I sincerely appologize for my comments. I read everything completely wrong. It's a horrible feeling when you don't know much about what you're asking, but know you probably have to find out. It's almost embarassing trying to ask without knowing names of parts and having to revert to "the black thing," etc... I really appreciate your help and understanding. I hope you don't have any hard feelings, and if you do I can completely understand. I can only appologize and I admit that I was completely in the wrong.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-17-2004, 12:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bgbfflochp
Now with the coil packs, I could probably change those out right?
Old 06-17-2004, 05:34 PM

My .02c. If you have trouble understanding where the rust is from, trouble knowing if you are referring to the parts correctly, well then.... You should not be pulling plugs, take it to the dealer. Then take a auto shop night school class or read up on the subject.

Your asking for trouble dicking around under the hood without a basic knowledge of what's there.

I will now step down from my soap box.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MOTU
My .02c.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:43 PM

Your advice is very wise. I did actually have someone do the plugs while I watched. He's done them on my car since I've gotten it. He's the one that got me paranoid..."uh oh, rust. that's not good...etc...etc..." I asked him today about it when I got to work and he told me he was kidding...and then basically told me what XViper helped me diagnose. And to be 100% honest with you, he's the one that got me thinking the sparkplugs and coils were all part of the "cylinder." He knew he'd freak me out by telling me it would cause issues in the cylinder...and kept using the word cylinder in everything he said. I guess he thought he was funny, but he really got me nervous.

I won't touch anything I don't have hands on experience with. I've changed pulleys on the supercharger, installed new fuel injectors, installed all of my exhaust work, and a few other "bolt ons." I guess it's sad that I can install new fuel injectors no problem, but won't touch spark plugs. I don't claim to be a mechanic whatsoever...I know that I'm new to this...and I'm very eager to learn. So when this guy who is a certified mechanic feeds me this stuff, I take it as law, ya know? He's done nothing but make me look like a fool...and he will pay dearly for it later...

This whole thread has turned into a circus...and it appears the joke is on me.

Dave, I'm glad there's no hard feelings, you didn't deserve any of that. My post/attack was much more embarassing than me not knowing what I thought I was talking about.

Thanks to everyone for their responses, and I hope you guys enjoyed the show...I have nothing to enjoy now but knowing I DON'T have a major problem, and that payback is on the way. This guy's pretty good though, so it'll be tough. I'm going to go sleep on it. He drives a Mazda Speed as an every day driver, and has a heavily modded 3rd gen and 2nd gen RX-7. If you guys have any ideas, private message them on over. I'm sure you guys can come up with something other than dumping a puddle of oil or some other liquid under his car. That's about the best thing I can think of for now.

This'll be my last post on this thread (i think).

Take care,
Dave
Old 06-18-2004, 03:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bgbfflochp
Old 06-18-2004, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by bgbfflochp
I asked him today about it when I got to work and he told me he was kidding.
This kinda puts you in an awkward position. You sorta need him to do you favours (work on your car) yet he takes advantage of you with these "jokes". As long as you need him, I guess you just have to take whatever he says with a grain of salt. I have seen his type of personality and they are basically well meaning people who will bend over backwards to help another person out but beyond that, feels the need to extract "payment" in one form or another. In your case, it's at your emotional expense. In my case, when I go stuff for the guys around here, I get payment in beer and lunch.

Quick Reply: changed sparkplugs, found rust