S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

changed retainers, seals, keepers, pcv and still consuming oil

Old 10-15-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I am1qt every 1k in my AP1. I sent an oil sample in and nothing in the sample suggested worn rings. I did have slightly high lead, butt no additional bearing metals. I am kinda planning on using oil tests and performance to gauge engine health as opposed to sounds/oil consumption. These things use oil and make strange noises from time to time.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:50 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

I'm at 130k hard driven miles from three previous owners and I've had to replace more parts than I'd like, but the oil was changed every 5k miles with Castrol Edge full synthetic 10w30, I'm burning about a quart every 1,700 to 2,000 miles depending how I drive, I also rebuilt the head about 3,500 miles ago which calmed the oil drinking a bit, but it still does it, and when I stop I sometimes get that burned oil smell. I just learned to live with it, it's just what the car does, a buddy of mine has an ap2 with an engine that has 43k miles, and doesn't burn a drop of oil and I still notice that fine oil stench when he stops. I guess that's what unicorn farts smell like.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chubbys2k
Originally Posted by realblag' timestamp='1413145902' post='23366655
If you are not getting lots of white smoke and compression is good, why are you worrying? Every AP1 owner knows he/she will need to be checking/replacing lost oil on every gas fill up.
Theres no white smoke. Im burning oil, not coolant. Im worrying because im missing 2.6 quarts of oil after 3000 miles after buying parts.
Guess I'm a lil late catching my mistake but I meant blue smoke, not white. lol oh well
Old 10-16-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're worried enough about this to swap out a perfectly healthy motor, please do yourself a favor, and install a catch can first. That'll tell you how much is escaping through the Pcv, and you'll get your lost oil back.
It doesn't make much sense to have healthy comp and leak down numbers, but continue to dig deeper. My car easily burns a qt every 1k and it's plenty strong.

If I didn't check my oil and changed it a 3k, I'd have less than 2.5 qts. You might want to make sure your method is correct for checking oil.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:04 AM

I just ordered a oil analysis kit and going to send a sample off to get some test results to see whats really going on with my motor.

Checking the oil with the dip stick gets annoying sometimes because its harder to read then my civics. Ill have to check alot harder then and pay closer attention to my dip stick
Old 10-16-2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by chubbys2k
I just ordered a oil analysis kit and going to send a sample off to get some test results to see whats really going on with my motor.

Checking the oil with the dip stick gets annoying sometimes because its harder to read then my civics. Ill have to check alot harder then and pay closer attention to my dip stick

Yeah man, check on level surface. You can check it while engine is hot and after it's cut off for 5 mins or so, or you can check it cold.
Pull out dipstick, wipe clean, reinsert then pull out and inspect both sides. Go off of the lower reading.

I never let mine get below 1/2 of the hash mark area. I check it every gas fill up, or after a hard day of vtecing.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think our dipstick is the easiest out of any be seen.

Honda said, "yeah we're going to give them a great dipstick.... because they are sure going to need it."
Old 10-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

I wonder if an oil pressure gauge on the dash maybe a nice thing to have?

Just a thought.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

It is, but it won't tell you how much oil is in the sump.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:07 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

we have the easiest to read dipstick out of any car i've ever seen. are you sure you have an oem dipstick?

also, if your oil was reading high on your dipstick, then what's the worry? measuring the oil level through a drain is not entirely accurate. did you include the oil from the oil filter? regardless, you should be checking the oil level on level surface through the dipstick.

if your compression and leakdown numbers are fine, then just check your oil every 500 miles (every gas station fill up or two).

I burn 1 quart of oil every 800 miles now. it gets progressively worse, everything checks out fine, it runs great. I have 210,000 miles on my car.

because i burn so much oil, I don't change my oil anymore, I only change the oil filter.

i've tried every remedy or oil suggested on this site, nothing works, except a full vacuum (krank vents), however this is not good for the rubbers seals and creates an annoying suction noise at idle.

the oil is getting past the rings (whether the rings are good or bad). there's something about the ap1 rings that allows oil to get through, maybe ring flutter. ap2's have a different part number for their piston rings and ap2's have less oil consumption.

check your oil. enjoy driving.

Quick Reply: changed retainers, seals, keepers, pcv and still consuming oil