S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

changed retainers, seals, keepers, pcv and still consuming oil

Old 10-12-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not getting lots of blue smoke and compression is good, why are you worrying? Every AP1 owner knows he/she will need to be checking/replacing lost oil on every gas fill up.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

May be nice to read the actual oil pressure, of your engine --- cold and hot. Just to be sure the readings are in the nominal ranges. In order to help rule-out any major bearing damage, due to low oil levels. Just a thought.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by realblag
If you are not getting lots of white smoke and compression is good, why are you worrying? Every AP1 owner knows he/she will need to be checking/replacing lost oil on every gas fill up.
Theres no white smoke. Im burning oil, not coolant. Im worrying because im missing 2.6 quarts of oil after 3000 miles after buying parts.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:30 PM

If you do a search some people are burning a quart of oil every 1k. I maybe burn a quart every 2-3k but I drive pretty conservatively. If you v-tec a lot you will burn more oil. I hit v-tech about 2-3 times every 2 weeks. I never red-line or rev past 8k. Can you smell burning oil when you just drive normally? One thing that you might want to do is search for a leak. You might have one around the v-tec solenoid. Feel and look around the engine and see if anything is out of the ordinary. If everything is good and dry just make sure you keep checking the oil every fill up. I use Castrol edge 10-30.

Another factor is that you did not get all of the oil out of the pan during your oil change. Did you count how much oil was in your oil filter? OEM oil filters are pretty big and I think they suck up about .3-.5 of a quart of oil. If you don't let the oil run out for at least 30min-1hr your not getting all of the oil out of the engine. I wouldn't be surprised if there was still .3-.7 of a quart if you just drain and fill quickly.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
If you do a search some people are burning a quart of oil every 1k. I maybe burn a quart every 2-3k but I drive pretty conservatively. If you v-tec a lot you will burn more oil. I hit v-tech about 2-3 times every 2 weeks. I never red-line or rev past 8k. Can you smell burning oil when you just drive normally? One thing that you might want to do is search for a leak. You might have one around the v-tec solenoid. Feel and look around the engine and see if anything is out of the ordinary. If everything is good and dry just make sure you keep checking the oil every fill up. I use Castrol edge 10-30.

Another factor is that you did not get all of the oil out of the pan during your oil change. Did you count how much oil was in your oil filter? OEM oil filters are pretty big and I think they suck up about .3-.5 of a quart of oil. If you don't let the oil run out for at least 30min-1hr your not getting all of the oil out of the engine. I wouldn't be surprised if there was still .3-.7 of a quart if you just drain and fill quickly.
Yea I drive it normally and at a stop, I can smell oil burning. Theres no leaks around the vtec solenoid or anywhere else thats visual. I actually let the oil drain for hours... like 3-4 hours. I leave the oil drain pan under the car and leave the car at a angle (lift the driver side a bit) to let all the oil drain. I was using the castrol edge titanium (gold bottle) for a bit but it still burnt oil. Before that, I was using royal purple and same thing. Im thinking its the oil rings or valve stems but im not going to worry too much anymore and save for a ap2 swap.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Do you use a test pipe?
Old 10-13-2014, 02:04 AM

Berks hfc
Old 10-14-2014, 11:04 PM

I switched to rotella t6 and it greatly reduced my oil consumption on my ap1.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by titus69
I switched to rotella t6 and it greatly reduced my oil consumption on my ap1.
Well thats what I heard about royal purple and castrol edge titanium but didn't work too well for me. I think im going to stick with castrol conventional for a bit
Old 10-15-2014, 01:31 PM

I had a dc5 type R and now own a jspec s2000, no need for panic the type R @ a very low mileage would use a half quart every 2500 kilometers, and the jspec s2000 uses almost the same. But I drive the car pretty aggressive though.

Quick Reply: changed retainers, seals, keepers, pcv and still consuming oil