S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

changed retainers, seals, keepers, pcv and still consuming oil

Old 10-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed retainers, seals, keepers, pcv and still consuming oil

So the s has been eating oil since I bought it (6 months ago). I had a friend drive the car while I followed behind and can see smoke at deacceleration. The smell of burning oil is very present.

So I brought it to a friend (ex master machinic from honda) compression tested and leak down. Compression was 240 all accross and leak down wasnt bad either, forgot the numbers. I think cylinder 4 had a bigger leak then the rest. So he told me to start small valves etc to the bigger labor things such as rings. So I went ahead and bought retainers for intake and exhaust side, valve seals, and new keepers. All oem honda as he recommends. He put them all in and valve adjusted everything and told me to go back to conventional like how oem always done. So I did. After 3000 miles later and a oil change, I only came out with 2.5 quarts of oil! And the smell is still present. Forgot to mention that I changed the pcv valve too (oem honda). So whats next? You guys think its the valve stems? Or rings? Or something else? Should I worry alot? Thanks guys
Old 10-11-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let the motor get that low on oil. You know it consumes oil so check the oil level real often and add oil accordingly.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to get a better reading of consumption. Go another oil change interval. This time, Fill her up to "F'" on the dip stick and reset your trip odometer to 0.0 miles and take leave it there until it hits 999.9(1000 miles) If your oil level is own to the "L" (~4 qts remaining), your oil consumption rate is somewhat normal. If you have to add oil several times to keep it away from the bottom of the dip stick, you would indeed have a consumption problem. Do not let the level drop below the L.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:57 PM

Yea ill definitely try that. I hope it's not the rings
Old 10-12-2014, 06:35 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

2.5+ qts low I would say is in the causing harm zone!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:28 AM

Mine eats oil too. I've done comp and leak down... Both checked out fine. I have updated to ferrea beehive springs/retainers.
The only thing that's left is the catch can option. If it's making it beyond the Pcv, it just routes right back into the intake. I bet you that that's where most of your smoke is coming from. If your rings were bad you wouldn't be getting 240 compression across all cylinders. You didn't post your leak down numbers, but if they're low, you might want to look at the valve guides, but I still am willing to bet that you have a blow by problem.

In my car, The previous owner had 2 Pcv's back to back, I assume that this was his attempt at mitigating the oil consumption..... Obviously doesn't work.

Mine only smokes when I go wot. How much oil are we talking here? Did you let it get down 2.5 qts low, or is that all you had left? Either way, way too low. I burn a good amount of oil and I've never once let it get below half on the dipstick's hash mark.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:33 AM

It would help to know what year and mileage too.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:47 AM

And I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the manual suggest synthetic....But don't quote me on that.

I've switched oils a few times. Currently on amsoil 10w-30 and still have the same oil loss.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Why in the world would you go to all of the trouble you did and then allow your car to run that low on oil??!!! You drove 3000 miles in a car that consumes oil and not once did you check it. Driving with only 2.5 quarts may come back to bite you.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:09 AM

Honestly I did check it alot. We all know the dip stick is not too easy to read. I swear it showed that i had plenty of oil (top). Thats why im kinda upset that I replaced everything and it only helped a bit. I decided to do my oil change yesterday and it only came out 2.5 quarts.

Its a 2002 with 144k. I dont beat on the car very much and its not a daily. Master machinic said conventional and thats what they ran when he was working at honda.

Quick Reply: changed retainers, seals, keepers, pcv and still consuming oil