S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Changed to Redline 5W-20 for my AP2

Old 02-07-2010, 03:01 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Try to answer as unbiased as possible: did you notice anything?
Start-up noise?
Warm-up time?
Fuel consumption?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It definitely gave me better throttle response.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Former Sponsor

That was a joke, since it seems like everybody says they notice better throttle response after the slightest little mod.

I actually haven't noticed anything at all, but I didn't think I would. There is no change in noise at start up or idle. Since I don't drive much on the highway, and drive with a heavy foot, I also haven't noticed any change in fuel economy. However, just because I haven't noticed it, doesn't mean that it isn't there.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Feb 7 2010, 08:49 AM

That was a joke, since it seems like everybody says they notice better throttle response after the slightest little mod.

I actually haven't noticed anything at all, but I didn't think I would. There is no change in noise at start up or idle. Since I don't drive much on the highway, and drive with a heavy foot, I also haven't noticed any change in fuel economy. However, just because I haven't noticed it, doesn't mean that it isn't there.
yeah going the other direction with a thicker oil I haven't noticed any difference in throttle response, fuel economy, power etc.... , and I'm also running a thicker fluid in the diff. Much like state I do believe there could be some efficiency loss going on but its likely too small to feel. Thanks for keeping this thread alive with the updatess.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

just got a haircut. adds 5 whp through aerodynamics.

JF, driving the S year round? was worried about a thicker diff fluid as well for efficiency reasons.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by starchland,Feb 7 2010, 09:20 PM
just got a haircut. adds 5 whp through aerodynamics.

JF, driving the S year round? was worried about a thicker diff fluid as well for efficiency reasons.
my car is technically in winter storage, but I'll take it for a drive about once every 2 weeks when we get a nice sunny dry day and the roads are bare. It starts up pretty well with the 5w-40 Amsoil, the 5w synthetic helps with frigid winter temps.

My car went from 10w30 Syntec engine oil and Redline 75w-90 diff. fluid to Amsoil 5w-40 engine oil and Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-110 without any noticeable loss in power or fuel economy. I wouldn't doubt if I was losing 2% but it just hasn't been noticeable.

On the weekend my father-in-law told me that the engine sounded like a fine watch as it was idling in my driveway - this has been the most noticeable difference for me.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=55
Okay.. okay.. its a commercial.
But the Redline guy is not TellSelling their oil.
Wait for the bit where he talks about the ring & pinion being the highest loaded part of a car.
Notice the "huge" 9" (? maybe more) diff on the table.
Now think about our 7" diff holding less than a quart of oil.

Sure, thicker oil might take more fuel to work through.
Thicker oil also has a higher EP rating and might generate less friction.
You loose some, you win some.

Btw.. 75W-110 is not thick.
Its the perfect replacement for the 1999 SAE 90.

With Redline you may also go one grade thinner in the engine - according to the Redline Guy - under certain circumstances.

Here's the link to the BITOG post about this infomercial
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...324#Post1759324
Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a lot of assumption as to what honda has or hasn't done regarding testing with w20 weights.

But I think their smart enough to take the high road and recommend a oil with a degree of safety. I highly doubt seeing honda releasing a statement saying you can only use Redlines 0w20 oil otherwise a 10w30. There is a margin for safety but a w20 might be pushing it close to the edge.

With that said, getting a oil pressure gauge, oil temp, frequent UOA, visual inspection is probably good enough to make a educated decision.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Feb 8 2010, 07:45 AM
There is a lot of assumption as to what honda has or hasn't done regarding testing with w20 weights.

But I think their smart enough to take the high road and recommend a oil with a degree of safety. I highly doubt seeing honda releasing a statement saying you can only use Redlines 0w20 oil otherwise a 10w30. There is a margin for safety but a w20 might be pushing it close to the edge.

With that said, getting a oil pressure gauge, oil temp, frequent UOA, visual inspection is probably good enough to make a educated decision.

I've become comfortable with 20 weight oils in recent times to the point of dispelling many of the early myths that I've heard about 20 weights in past years. I use it in my Escape without any hesitation, and we now have people who have racked up over 200,000 miles on 20 weight oils without any noticeable affects on engine longevity.

I'm pretty sure Redline 20 weight would be safe enough in the S2000 based on it's build, but who really ever knows 100%.

The only thing that gets me about Honda's oil recommendations is that they never recommend 20 weights in their higher revving VTEC engines. Though they will recommend it in the lower peformance version of the same vehicle - RSX-S vs. RSX, Civic Si vs Civic, etc... . I figure they must know something that we don't.
If the S2000 was re-engineered and built today I still don't think Honda would recommend a 20 weight oil.

Used oil analysis is the best we (average consumers) can do to analyze oil. It monitors tiny particles suspended in the oil, but if you lose a chunk of piston ring in your engine a used oil analysis will never pick that up. In other words you can't monitor all engine wear by a UOA.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Feb 8 2010, 10:19 AM
Used oil analysis is the best we (average consumers) can do to analyze oil. It monitors tiny particles suspended in the oil, but if you lose a chunk of piston ring in your engine a used oil analysis will never pick that up. In other words you can't monitor all engine wear by a UOA.
I wouldn't consider "losing a chunk of a piston" to be "engine wear". I would call that engine failure.

Regarding the diff, I just swapped out my diff oil this past weekend with Lubrication Engineer's SAE 110. I intended to use LE's SAE 90, but HTG shipped the 110 instead.

One thing I forgot to mention about the sample I took for the UOA is that it was surprisingly dark. I'm used to oil being dark at 5K miles, but didn't expect it to be so dark at 1300 miles. It makes me wonder if the filter on my PWJDM intake is doing a good job.

Quick Reply: Changed to Redline 5W-20 for my AP2