S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Changed my transmission fluid - no more notchiness

Old 08-02-2001, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said you picked up 2 liters. Was this enough? How much does our tranny take?
Old 08-02-2001, 04:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nin009
[B]You said you picked up 2 liters.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MarkS2K
Chris,

Do you really think that Honda is going to come out with a better 1-2 repair?? The only option they have right now is to replace the synchros due to intolerances. Personally, I don't think this is the real problem of why some of us grind. I hope you're right about this.
Be aware that it's common of manufacturers to blame things on poor manufacturing, etc. (Honda has done this a number of times). I think many of these are "goodwill gestures" on their part to keep customers happy.

Case in point: '92 and newer Preludes were recalled every year for an "improperly manufactured" 5th gear shift fork. Many of these cars ground in 5th and they replaced these under warranty. Guess what? It didn't always fix the problem.

I think Honda's big problem is that they can't build a tough transmission. For some reason, the Japanese (except for maybe Isuzu) automakers haven't jumped on the Getrag, Borg-Warner, or Tremec wagons... maybe they have their own trans. makers, but I've seen no evidence of it.

Every Honda I've owned has had a brittle transmission. 1-2 grinds were common without COMPLETE clutch disengagement. Muddy fluid or incomplete pedal travel will easily prevent total disengagement. I wish they would have used a mechanical clutch linkage in our cars!

I suggest being very careful with the clutch and shifter. Drive this car like a Mustang or 'vette and it reacts poorly. Honda rebuilt my transmission in my Prelude under warranty as a result of their "fragile" design.

Don't believe me? Ask a tranny shop. One look at our gears and forks, and those out ot a Getrag or B-W, and you'll see the difference.

If Honda says it's their manufacturing, why in 30 years have they not been able to get it right?
Old 08-03-2001, 08:08 AM

I think we have a pretty good tranny and decent rear end....
Old 08-03-2001, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by marcucci

If Honda says it's their manufacturing, why in 30 years have they not been able to get it right?
honda is renowned for making some of the best transmissions in the world. the ITRs tranny was simply amazing and nearly bulletproof unless you did something extreme (like forced induction).

i agree the S2k's clutch engagement is a little fussy. but i'm sure it's not easy designing a tranny to withstand 9000 rpms on the track and remain docile at low rpms in traffic...all while having 2" throws, 6-spds., ultra-close gear ratios, and a fairly light action clutch.

just my $.02.
Old 08-15-2001, 07:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by cdelena
I tried RedLine at my annual transmission change. The incidents of slipping out of fourth gear are up dramatically, from rare to often. I don't know if it is the lube, the temp, or wear. I will change back to Honda MTF in the next few weeks and report back.
I changed back to Honda MTF and incidents of slipping out of fourth have dropped to zero thus far. It seems to me that the Honda stuff is slightly higher viscosity and has better shift feel (my imagination?) at high temps. Maybe too early to tell on the fourth gear deal but I plan to stick with the Honda lube for now.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:56 AM

I don't have the Helm manual in front of me, but are any special tools required to replace the tranny fluid?

How about the differential fluid?

I am at 15K miles right now and might just change both of them.
Old 08-15-2001, 10:00 AM

i think it is pretty straight forward, some wrenches and someone on here suggested a little pump or turkey baster to make sure you get them completely filled,..

There are several threads about how to do it. I had the dealer do mine just about a month ago. it was only like $150 for both.

I wasn't sure how high the car had to be so I had them do it the same time as the oil this last time. Of course they were short on the oil replacement when I checked it yesterday...I don't think I burned 1/2 q in the last 2 wks, but I guess I could have.
Old 08-15-2001, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Speedy
[B]

honda is renowned for making some of the best transmissions in the world.
Old 08-16-2001, 04:28 AM

Are the replacement washers for the transmission fluid and differential fluid drain plugs, the same as the crush washers for the oil drain plug?

It seems pretty easy to do it yourself. I am wondering if I should save the $100 plus dollars that a dealership would charge me just to change both.

Quick Reply: Changed my transmission fluid - no more notchiness