S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Changed from Mineral to Synthetic - 45K

Old 06-26-2007, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed from Mineral to Synthetic - 45K

'04 AP2 has about 45K miles - got it about 4K miles ago when full service was done by dealer with reg. Honda oil. Had JiffyLube do next oil change yesterday and asked them to use their synthetic oil - this AM had a small puddle under the car So, seems like the seal(s) are not keeping the new oil. Did I do this change from regular to mineral too late at 45K mi. or do was a blend required first? What's the best action to take now after the fact? Is there a good chance that immediate change back to mineral will stay in or is this a major deal? I have to admit that I had no time to see where exactly it's leaking from but the puddle was on R-side under car.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:13 AM

Oil filter is probably loose. Or they doubled up on the oil filter gasket. In either case, these cause engine fires. I wouldn't drive the car until you check the filter. Don't ever take your car to Jiffy Lube again, bad bad owner.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 AM

Sorry to hear that. I really can't offer any advice, but is it possible the drain bolt wasn't tightened properly? Or maybe the filter?

As a side note, have you been to this JiffyLube before? After seeing those "hidden cam" videos about JiffyLube, I'd could never go back to one.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I've never had problems with Jiffy before - but I've never taken a high performace machine like S2000 there either.. Do you think I could take it back to them or bring it to dealer? I don't really have facilities to mess with oilf at home. Is it the most likely situation with the filter or can this be because of the change from mineral to synthetic?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would only leak if oil filter or oil plug not tightened properly. Do your own oil next time or take it to the dealer. Lucky you noticed puddle before driving off, you would've needed a new engine soon if it leaked enough oil. Google jiffy lube horror stories.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree - filter of drain plug with or without a crush ring .....or it just could be old oil that ran down the frame/rail of the car...... and it had a chance to drain off over night .....

Can you take a look and see where its coming from ......
Old 06-26-2007, 10:31 AM

Yes, I need to take a closer look at home. What amount of oil loss is critical in terms of driving the thing to dealer 10 miles away? I've had lots of low performance cars/bikes where a small drip realisticly won't damage a thing. But I guess I can buy some and top it off.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah this is definitely not the fault of the synthetic oil by the sound of it.

Jack up the passenger side with the spare tire jack, slide under there and check the drain bolt. Look to see if that's where the leak is coming from. You'll need a 17mm if it needs to be tightened. Second, reach in from the engine bay and check the oil filter. If it moves at all it's obviously loose. Rotate it clockwise and hand tighten it. Third check the dipstick. As long as the oil level is between the H and L you are fine in terms of driving somewhere to go get more oil, but triple check to make sure because new oil is sometimes hard to read on this dipstick. Do not drive it at all if the oil level is unreadable on the dipstick.

As some have already suggested you really should consider doing simple fluid changes(engine oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid) yourself at home. Jiffy Lube, Wal-Mart, and the other quick oil change places are a nightmare waiting to happen. The amount of money needed to invest in materials to do so is miniscule and you're always left knowing the job was done exact and precise. That piece of mind is worth many times over the small amount of labor involved out in the garage on Sunday with a cold beer.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:35 AM

Did they replace your oil drain crush washer?

Mine was leaking from the plug, but after I put a new one in it stopped.

(the old one was paper thin!)
Old 06-26-2007, 12:07 PM

Whatever you do, do NOT get under the car while it's supported by the service jack.

Quick Reply: Changed from Mineral to Synthetic - 45K