S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Changed Fluid - Still Notchy/Grinds when Cold

Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, I haven't seen a Honda TSB yet that admits they put the service plug in the wrong position on the tranny. None of the service manuals or owners manual states that more is better and you need to get as much fluid in as possible for the tranny to work right. In fact, I'm not aware of any automotive engineeers or Triboligists that recommend overfilling any drivetrain component (engine, tranny, differential, tranfer case). In fact, the opposite is normally stated. Overfilling can cause equipment damage. In my own personal experience, overfilling any drivetrain component has eventially resulted in a leaking seal or a relief vent spewing fluid all over something I don't want it on.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Apr 6 2009, 03:49 AM
Why is overfilling the transmission bad? I do this now, and would like more info..I have noticed that filling it up a little befoer 2L works best for my shifting... wonder if I'm hurting my own trans.
MTF and flow pulls heat away from the parts, if you had a situation where you over filled and you lost flow (gears submerged), then that could results in overheating.

And other stuff I guess.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I don't understand what is the problem with a notchy transmission when cold. It's normal and everyone has it.

Why change the fluid again?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how can your overfill the tranny?? when its full it drains down the fill hole :\
Old 04-06-2009, 11:07 AM

Jackin up only the driver side, but I doubt it be overfilled by much.

You would have to go out of your way to really overfill. Definitly some time to think about what your doing when you have the car stood up about 45 degrees and your opening your 3rd bottle of MTF.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 AM

^well, when I say overfill I mean by like 0.1 quarts or so - its real easy. you just seal the fill hole pretty well while pumping in the fluid, then in a quick motion you remove the tube + seal, and put the bolt on.

I just overfill it now because I noticed it feels so much better for shifts. When I change the fluid to GMfmsm, Ill try keep the fluid level correct. Also, its hard to 'perfect' it, since if youre under the car, youve lifted it up...unevenly!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 PM

How's your CMC fluid?

Maybe try bleeding it out and refilling, simple easy DIY.

Probably needs to be done anyways and it helped my notchiness noticebly.

Seems that the old fluid was contaminated in my case and it wasn't disengaging the clutch all the way.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:36 PM

changed my fluid today at 25,000 with some honda mtf fluid from all the damn 3rd gear grinds in the si's ive been doing and its much smoother shifting now
Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by s2kvince,Apr 5 2009, 05:26 PM
I had my transmission fluid changed around 3k miles ago since my transmission was really notchy and grinded during the 1st-2nd shift when cold. I noticed no difference following the fluid change. The tech at Honda said he used the new formulation which should be good from what I hear.

One thing I remember is him mentioning that the old fluid was extremely clean when he removed it. This does make me a bit suspicious that new fluid may have not been used. I have friends who've worked as techs who tell me stories of oil, trans. fluid, diff. fluid being reused so the tech can take the new product out the back door.

I'm debating over changing the fluid again. On warm days after driving it for a while, it works perfectly and basically falls into each gear. I rev match all shifts perfectly 95% of the time, so I doubt I could've put excessive strain on the synchros to cause them to be at fault.

Any input on what I should try next? I'm not eager to try the Honda MTF since, if changed, it didn't help anything.
Haha, read my post revival!
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200896

Hey, I have a Silverstone 05, live in Texas and have the mild trans grind too. It was cool today so it took a bit longer to warm up. I'm sure you had the same issue. Have patients for the first few miles and it will start to shift better. Go ahead and get the tools to start doing the trans change yourself because you'll need to be doing it every 5k with HMFT if you wanna have a nice shift. You'll prolly wanna do the diff more often then the book says too, use LE 1605 for that.

I am in search of the best AP2 trans oil. I have tried many and none have been better then HMTF but I will find better oil. I think we need thicker oil or one that doesn
Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 PM

Does it shift better if you pump the clutch? Could be time for a new CMC.

Quick Reply: Changed Fluid - Still Notchy/Grinds when Cold