S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Changed clutch today... doesn't feel right :( any help?

Old 09-04-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed clutch today... doesn't feel right :( any help?

Higuys,

Got clutch changed today. Fitted XTD Stage 4 clutch with lightened flywheel.

Picked up from the garage after work, and first thing i noticed was that my pedal was right at the floor, i pulled out with a jerky clutch and started driving up the road... when i stopped i went to put it back in first and it wouldnt go in... due to traffic i had to force it in and carry on driving. It then kind of loosened up a bit.. changed to second fine etc... When i then came to a stop again, i couldnt get it in gear again, i tried all the gears and it kinda went into fourth and then allowed me to go into first, so i pulled away again and started driving. It kept happening to the point i decided to turn around and take to my friends garage (he didnt fit the clutch)... he checked and the garage hadn't bled my system.. so we bled it and also raised the biting point on the clutch.. and it kinda helped alot. I drove home again and it was all fine for around 3 miles until i stopped... and then all of a sudden it started happening again.

This time it isn't as bad... but i had to fiddle before it freely goes into first or fourth... ALSO the main thing that concerns me... is that when i put my foot down on the clutch (WHILE STILL) and then move my gearstick towards a gear (say 1st for example...) i can hear a THUD before i even put it in gear? so i do this a few times and then the gear opens to allow me to put into gear...

any ideas guys ? and i know XTD are cheap and shit so please only constructive help for my situation now
Old 09-04-2015, 01:32 PM

Right... so i've just been out in the car again.

Its so weird... it's not right. If im driving along and i blip the throttle as i change gear the gear slides in nicely. Same as when idling... if it doesnt go in and i reb the car a little it then "loosens" the gears and lets it go in
Old 09-04-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mysterioJR
Right... so i've just been out in the car again.

Its so weird... it's not right. If im driving along and i blip the throttle as i change gear the gear slides in nicely. Same as when idling... if it doesnt go in and i reb the car a little it then "loosens" the gears and lets it go in

Sounds like you have copious amounts of air in the lines causing the clutch to not fully disengage.

On another note, you bought a clutch that is less that $200. your getting what you pay for. Even if you bleed all the air out, it will still feel like crap. I believe the stage 4 is a 4 puck non fiber disc. It will jerk, be short and work terribly for street driving.

Do your self a favor and spend the money on an OEM setup including the throwout bearing and pilot bearing.

It is only special circumstances that a clutch like that would be beneficial.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,031 Posts

You either need to bleed the lines or do a master cylinder adjustment.

But...why did you get that clutch....?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:59 PM

HELLO,

I understand what you are saying but i have personal circumstances that didnt permit me to buy a propper clutch this time. I did clearly say that i dont really want to hear anyone say XTD blabla

The thing is when the gears engage properly the car drives lovely... feels solid. But when i stop and go to put in first its not letting me select the gears sometimes
Old 09-06-2015, 03:29 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

As above - I think a clutch bleed and master cylinder rod adjustment are prime suspects.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,031 Posts

XTD or not...my question was more about why one would buy a "stage 4"? A pucked clutch like that is going to be awful on the street.

I'm telling you this as relevant information. The master cyl adjustment and bleed is definitely something you should do. But the clutch isn't going to be smooth to engage or nice to drive after you do that either, simply because pucked clutches aren't street clutches.

I don't know what type of force XTD uses on that pressure plate. But if it is higher than stock, I would install a clutch bypass switch for starting the car. And I would absolutely minimize the amount of time you spend with your foot on the clutch. Both are done to prevent crank thrust bearing wear.

I'm fairly sure this thread isn't going to get replied to. But you're likely going to have several issues in terms of quality and longevity with what you picked out. Hopefully, you didn't pay for an install...because having to take the trans down again in case of an issue is going to wipe out any "savings" from your purchase.

An Exedy OE replacement isn't a great idea. But in your case, would have been leaps and bounds better than what you purchased.

Again...I'm not telling you this to berate you. Its relevant information in case you have problems down the line.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
XTD or not...my question was more about why one would buy a "stage 4"? A pucked clutch like that is going to be awful on the street.

I'm telling you this as relevant information. The master cyl adjustment and bleed is definitely something you should do. But the clutch isn't going to be smooth to engage or nice to drive after you do that either, simply because pucked clutches aren't street clutches.

I don't know what type of force XTD uses on that pressure plate. But if it is higher than stock, I would install a clutch bypass switch for starting the car. And I would absolutely minimize the amount of time you spend with your foot on the clutch. Both are done to prevent crank thrust bearing wear.

I'm fairly sure this thread isn't going to get replied to. But you're likely going to have several issues in terms of quality and longevity with what you picked out. Hopefully, you didn't pay for an install...because having to take the trans down again in case of an issue is going to wipe out any "savings" from your purchase.

An Exedy OE replacement isn't a great idea. But in your case, would have been leaps and bounds better than what you purchased.

Again...I'm not telling you this to berate you. Its relevant information in case you have problems down the line.
Hello,

It's ok i appreciate you taking the time to speak to me... however the drive / etc of the car is fine. It's a springed clutch and is fine to drive on street.. My only problem is that when im not moving it wont engage first gear UNLESS i either rev the engine to 2000ISH rpm or i put foot on the clutch and go for 4th/5th first...

Again thanks for your time
Old 09-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds to me like something is not letting the clutch engage fully
Old 09-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

This sounds like a hydraulic issue, not the clutch itself. Meaning its a master and or slave issue, whether the system still has air in the line and not fully actuating the clutch to disengage fully, or it simply needs a pedal adjustment. You are not getting the PP to disengage fully to shift the trans smoothly.