S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Chain Tensioner?!?! HUH?

Old 07-18-2005, 06:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chain Tensioner?!?! HUH?

So I took the tensioner off, and followed the directions of how to "supposedly" tighten it down. But to put it back in it says I need this special tool that looks like a hex key.

QUESTION: Has anyone done this before?

IS THERE some advice you could give me to do this right?

IS IT really necessary to have the special tool and all that jazz???

Any help or comments with someone that has played with it would be appriciated

J. R.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The pin that holds it retracted is looks like a hex key.

You have to use the screw of the same pitch in the SM to retract the tensioner piston. If you don't have the pin holding it assembled, the piston will come out of the housing.

I've taken several of them off, the SM procedure is right on for retracting the piston. follow the directions and you'll have no problems.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did follow them. I screwed in a bolt till it would just turn round and round and not do anything. THen I locked a bolt on there so it would stay compressed. Now when I re-assemple it talks about using a hex key thing. What is it for? Do I really need to go buy a special hex for it? It talks about removing out a access hole so probly will need to buy the special one? Pretty strait forward? What does the hex key do in diffrence to what the 5x.8mm bolt did when I took it off for holding the thing retracted?

So those are like 6 questions, but if you could hit them all that would BE AWSOME!!!!!!

J. R.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

When you installed the screw, the tensioner is retracted. you can then put the hex key in the end to hold the piston all the way in. The The screw is used to retract the piston, the key holds in it place. You still need to reinstall the cover plate and oil jet in the tensioner. You may be able to get away with using just the bolt, as long as the tensioner is completely retracted.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a few questions. are you trying to replace the tensioner? if not why is it even out of the motor?
a new one is 100 bucks roughly. buy a new one, 2 bolts, slide old one out, toss in trash, slide new one in, pull allen plug, pull little pin, done. takes 3 minutes. far easier than messing with the old one. my .02 dave
Old 07-19-2005, 03:46 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Use a stopnut on the tool/bolt to hold it, you won't need the "hex key/set pin".

I would make sure you "could" put the pin in. If you tighten down the tensioner with out retracting enough, you could do serious damage to the chain.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:57 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

BUT:

For the least amount of trouble...

for the cost....

for the ease of install....

for the fact thay are notorious for going bad....

Go with s2000nvegas and get a new one.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are sort of two "hex key" issues being discussed here, I think. When you buy a new auto-tensioner, it has what appears to be a very small allen wrench (hex key wrench) that is being used (like a pin on a hand grenade) to keep the piston retracted. Once the tensioner is installed, you pull the pin and the piston extends and pushes against the chain to maintain tension. However, to pull the pin, you have to have access to it.... that's where the second hex key comes into play.

The maintenance plug which is used to allow access for you to "pull the pin" on the tensioner also uses a hex bolt, I think, so you'll need a hex attachment for your socket/torque wrench. I forget what size it is, though.

Anyway, hope that helps... or at least doesn't confuse you any more!

I agree with the others, though... just buy a new one and be done with it. Then you just drop it in, remove the maintenance access bolt, pull the pin, and you're good to go.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have made one out of nuts and bolts. I'll take a pic and post it.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hondamanwill,Jul 19 2005, 05:56 PM
I have made one out of nuts and bolts. I'll take a pic and post it.

Quick Reply: Chain Tensioner?!?! HUH?