S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Centering the steering rack

Old 08-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

One thing that you didn't mention was if the rear wheels were impacted, or if it was just the front. I have found that my rear wheels go out of alignment VERY easily driving aggressively on rough surfaces. It doesn't take an impact strong enough to bend something to screw up the toe on the rear, and will cause the steering wheel to be off center (dog tracking). The surface that I autocross on is so crappy, my alignments only last 1-2 events, and it is always the rear toe that is screwed up.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by r_duff,Aug 27 2004, 01:12 PM
cdelena. i dont think so. are you saying he held the wheels SO tight, and the tie rods, rack and pinon are SO strong that he actually STRIPPED the steering wheel spindle? Its safe to assume the steering wheel was straight and never been uninstalled before the impact, so i think that rules out 'improper reassebly."

My recommendation. Take it to a knowledgable bodyshop or mechanic, ask them where they get their alignments done (so the alignment shop knows what to look for, I.E. collision damage). And hope it aligns. If not, a good shop will be able to LIKELY identify the damaged suspension component.
You can think anything you want. Tightening the coupling is one of the last steps when the engine is raised after a transmission removal and I have seen THREE cars (including mine) where the mechanic failed to get it tight and the wheel moved.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:21 PM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a freinds S2000, the car hit a pliable barrier, smashed the whole side in.

Rear wheels were not impacted. just front right.

Right Fender, Right door, Rocker panel.

It was all panel damage. However it clipped the wheel there is no scrapes, just a bit of scuffed side wall.

The wheel was held when the impact occured.

When going straight the steering wheel 1/2 turns to the left.
The car tracks completely straight, no pulling no odd tire wear.

The right front wheel that was struck has some toe out.

As for why, I would want to center the wheel, I want to know how it is done. There is national back order on parts for these friggen cars that prevents his car from going in for almost 1 month.

The car has been rotting for nearly a month already.

I am not trying to do an eyeball alignment that is just stupid.
People tell me the car needs an alignment.

I don't see how that would center the wheel.

What is the wheel centering practice on these cars?
Old 08-27-2004, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Aug 27 2004, 10:31 AM
The steering shaft is in two pieces and there is a coupler that joins the splined shafts. It is common for it to be off one or more splines either from improper reassembly or a hard impact where the wheels where hit but the steering wheel held firm. It just takes a 10mm socket and some time and patience to put it back.
That sounds like the answer I am looking for.

Any idea on how much time?

Would an impact like that be the reason the wheel is not centered by more than 1/2 turns?
Old 08-27-2004, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena,Aug 27 2004, 02:02 PM
You can think anything you want. Tightening the coupling is one of the last steps when the engine is raised after a transmission removal and I have seen THREE cars (including mine) where the mechanic failed to get it tight and the wheel moved.
Cdelena is correct. Now he knows of four cars that this has happened to. me being the fourth. (clutch install)and yes I realigned the splines in the coupler and you could clearly see that it was misaligned from the bright shiny clean spot showing on the splines.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there,

I am not sure if my comment here is helpful, and I also don't know if the S2000 is equipped with this, but...

As part of standard anti-theft systems and steering wheel locking system, many manufacturers incorporate a slip coupling that yields when a torque of about 75 ft.lb is applied through the steering wheel. As this is not destructive, the result is that the steering wheel remains in the rotated position, when the wheels point in the original position.

Take care,

Siepel
Old 08-27-2004, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dezoris,Aug 27 2004, 12:21 PM
People tell me the car needs an alignment.

I don't see how that would center the wheel.

What is the wheel centering practice on these cars?
Well, you mentioned that there is toe out on the RF wheel. As I said, uneven toe will *not* cause the car to pull to one side. Instead, the the toe will just center itself. Example- if the car started at 0 toe and the impact caused 1/2" of toe out on the RF wheel (bent tie rod for ex.), toe imbalance will automatically center itself so there is ~1/4" toe out on each side. In order to center itself, both wheels have to turn *left*, which causes the steering wheel to point *left*, even though the car is still going *straight*.

This is because uneven front toe will not cause the car to pull. Uneven *rear* toe will cause it to pull, because there is no steering mechanism to compensate for it. Also uneven camber and/or caster will cause the car to pull to one side.

So normally, if you have a slight imbalance in front toe, you will put the car on a rack, hold the wheel straight, and dial both toe adjusters until you have the correct toe, even on both sides. Then the wheel should be straight.

As for the splined steering shaft, this should only be whacked if a mechanic took it apart during repairs. It sounds like the car has not been repaired yet?

I guess I don't get it. On one hand you say you can visibly see toe out on one wheel. On the other hand you don't think this has anything to do with your alignment. The only way to find out what is causing the problem is to look at the alignment. If you move the steering shaft by one spline, it still might not be straight, and your alignment might still be whacked.

Peter
Old 08-27-2004, 03:13 PM

Yes the toe is out of wack.

There is no doubt however I can 100% guarentee that there is no way there is enough adjustment on the tie rods to get the wheel back straight that is my point. There is not enough adjustment left.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well... if you can "100% guarantee" that it can't be adjusted back, then there MUST be some bent parts. There is definitely more adjustment in the tie rods than there is in the steering rack mounts.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 27 2004, 11:24 AM
IF, after all of this, the steering wheel is still not centered, then look toward the joint that cdelena spoke of.
Xviper... where is that joint. Do you by any chance have pics? I'm curious.

Quick Reply: Centering the steering rack