S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Centering the steering rack

Old 08-27-2004, 07:10 AM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Centering the steering rack

If you slipped your rack on an S2k, is there an easy way to re-center it, if so, has anyone done it?

I realize that it will not be perfect and the car should be aligned etc.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What do you mean by "slipped your rack"? Are you saying that the rack has physically shifted on its mounts? Is the steering wheel center different now when driving in a straight line? If the rack has shifted, then I think that there may be a centering procedure in the Helm's manual. If you just have it realigned without getting the rack realigned, then you may get some strange side effects due to the change in geometry.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:07 AM

Hmm
Old 08-27-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive never heard of a steering rack shift. sounds absurd IMHO. I've done collision estimating for 3 years, and if a wheel in impacted, and you have alignment problems, its usually, but not limited to, a bent outer tie rod or adjustment sleeve. check that first.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:55 AM

I assume there are some bent parts however how do you center the steering wheel on these cars?
Old 08-27-2004, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually you have an alignment guy adjust the toe to be even on both sides while having the steering wheel held straight. Just because the car is going straight doesn't mean it is aligned correctly. Toe adjustments tend to be "self centering", ie uneven toe on the 2 front wheels will not make the car pull, rather it will just cause the steering wheel to be off center. Pulling to one side or the other is usually caused by uneven caster (cross caster), cross-camber, or a problem with the tires.

R_duff's assesment of a bent tie rod is quite possible. The only way to tell what is going on with your car is to get it on an alignment rack and then do a visual inspection. If the damage is minor, you may be able to fix it by alignment alone. If it is more serious, you may have to change some parts.

Peter
Old 08-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor

You center the steering wheel by getting a 4 wheel alignment. However, if you hit something hard enough, you may have bent some pieces that need to be replaced first.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The steering shaft is in two pieces and there is a coupler that joins the splined shafts. It is common for it to be off one or more splines either from improper reassembly or a hard impact where the wheels where hit but the steering wheel held firm. It just takes a 10mm socket and some time and patience to put it back.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cdelena. i dont think so. are you saying he held the wheels SO tight, and the tie rods, rack and pinon are SO strong that he actually STRIPPED the steering wheel spindle? Its safe to assume the steering wheel was straight and never been uninstalled before the impact, so i think that rules out 'improper reassebly."

My recommendation. Take it to a knowledgable bodyshop or mechanic, ask them where they get their alignments done (so the alignment shop knows what to look for, I.E. collision damage). And hope it aligns. If not, a good shop will be able to LIKELY identify the damaged suspension component.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:24 AM

It boggles my mind that you would be this concerned about the steering wheel not being centered when you know that you smacked the car hard enough to uncenter it. Should you not be more concerned about fixing what has been bent, getting a proper alignment (which, BTW, should involve centering the steering wheel) and knowing that all is well. IF, after all of this, the steering wheel is still not centered, then look toward the joint that cdelena spoke of.

Quick Reply: Centering the steering rack