S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL threw on right after oil change

Old 12-17-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL threw on right after oil change

Hey All,I just finish my oil/filter change and my CEL is on,right after i start the car.There is no leakage anywhere and my oil level is between the L&H.What could i possibly do wrong in an oil/filter change that would cause it to throw a CEL...MY car has 24k.I used Mobile 1 10w30 and mobile 1 oil filter...I bought the car brand new and start to put aftermartket parts on at 7k miles.I got I/H/E for 17k miles and never threw a CEL...I also have the berk's test pipe for 12k miles and never threw a CEL ever... If anyone can give me some idea of what could be the cause,it would be great...It would save me a trip to go pull up the code on monday...Thanks in advance guys!
Old 12-17-2005, 06:27 PM

Check the wiring, connectors, and vacuum tubing near the area you worked on. Something probably got disturbed.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They probably pulled out the vtec silenoid, turned the car on and the CEL turned on. Probably realized it and plugged it back in.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:24 PM

I check all line and sensor but didnt see any loose connectings...But i've notice,when my car start and stay in idle.Open the hood and i can hear that my map sensor was making some weird sound,almost like air is coming out(Pussshh).I put my thumb over the map sensor,then sound would go away but when i took my thumb of it makes that noise again.Is that suppose to be normal?(I 've never notice it before)

I did the oil/filter myself so i know for sure that the vtec solenoid wasnt disconnected...
Old 12-17-2005, 07:36 PM

whats the code?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Red8k,Dec 17 2005, 10:24 PM
Open the hood and i can hear that my map sensor was making some weird sound,almost like air is coming out(Pussshh).I put my thumb over the map sensor,then sound would go away but when i took my thumb of it makes that noise again.Is that suppose to be normal?(I 've never notice it before)
What are you calling the MAP sensor? The MAP sensor makes no noise and putting your thumb over it won't change anything.

Best to get the code or you'll just be guessing till you do.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:32 AM

The MAP sensor is the one that mounts to the airbox,Right?...I'll just pull up the code then,thanx guys
Old 12-18-2005, 04:41 AM

Nevermind,the MAP sensor is located on the throttlebody.My mistake,but whatever that thing is, that's mounted onto the airbox was making noise...I knew that putting my thumb over wouldnt fix the problem but at least thats where i heard it came from and just to make sure thats where the sound is coming from.I put my thumb to cover it and the sound was gone until i let go then the sound would come back...
Old 12-18-2005, 06:03 AM

what are you using so you wont throw a cell for your test pipe?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:29 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thats the little vacuum solenoid that lives on the airbox.

If its making that noise its been removed and connected up wrong. Or a hose has popped off it. Xviper has a thread thats shows how it should be connected in the FAQ's.

God only know why thats been disturbed though??

MB

Quick Reply: CEL threw on right after oil change