S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL random misfire causing HORRIBLE bogging

Old 07-21-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CEL random misfire causing HORRIBLE bogging

Hey guys,

For a few hundred miles now, my car has had a CEL. It goes off once in awhile, but when on, it reads as a random misfire.

The car idles somewhat inconsistently. It like to drop to 500-600 rpm and has stalled on me twice. Also, I've been having the bogging problem more often than not. When I let off the clutch in first gear, I can floor it and it will pretty much crawl until it reaches ~3,000 rpm or so. It's been really bad lately since I have the AC on and when it happens on a hill, I basically have to get back on the clutch and ride it until it reaches 3k rpm.

I have an Exedy Hyper Single clutch and I love it, grabs really hard.

Spark plugs were recently changed...

Coilpack? MAP sensor? Please help!

Right now it feels like my car has 2.4 horsepower below 3k rpm. Anything above that and it seems to pull fine.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its ur MAP sensor. have u done anything with it recently? new throttle body? or anything?

same thing happend to my s2k. stupid studders and low idles. i had a skunk2 throttle body and the map was messed up. becareful cause the map can mess up ur PRIMARY (not secondary) o2, and sometimes a code dont pop up for the primary being out, but u dont need to worry bout the primary o2 unless ur burning rich... and i mean rich enough to wear your bumper is black... dont ask me how i know.

but check ur map... it might be it. honda dealer sells it for i think 85 or 95 bucks. my map didnt throw a code either...weird. but i found it was my map. u should replace it.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 AM

What kind of spark plugs did u put in there? I'm pretty much having a similar issue w/ my 06 AP2 and it pretty much happened when I replaced the OEM NGK plugs w/ Bosch IR fusion plugs. My CEL code read a misfire for Cyl 1. When I checked the plugs the white part of the plugs was loose. Also check your coil packs. One of mine was pretty badly burnt because of the Bosch plugs.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tanikins07,Jul 22 2009, 09:37 AM
What kind of spark plugs did u put in there? I'm pretty much having a similar issue w/ my 06 AP2 and it pretty much happened when I replaced the OEM NGK plugs w/ Bosch IR fusion plugs. My CEL code read a misfire for Cyl 1. When I checked the plugs the white part of the plugs was loose. Also check your coil packs. One of mine was pretty badly burnt because of the Bosch plugs.
I went with OEM NGK. I was having the misfire problem before but not as bad and the new plugs actually made it go away for awhile.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Well check out the CEL code and see what cyl it says the misfiring is in. If its only showing individual cylinders it might just be a bad coil pack on that cylinder.

Also this thread here helped me troubleshoot my issue.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=659930
Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check to make sure your plugs aren't loose.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:32 PM

not intending to steal your thread, but i too have the same problem.. difference with me is, i recently had head work done (replaced valves), and replaced my clutch. mine bogs really bad and hesitates below 1k rpm. i went to autozone to check the CEL and they said i had a misfire on cylinders 1,2,3!! I checked for loose plugs but nothing.. can someone help? us???
Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 AM

I think when I had it checked the few different times, it came up as a different cylinder each time.

BTW I just got home tonight and twice while in 2nd gear vtec around 7000 RPM, I could hear it misfire and it sounded like my car threw a flame.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by alexisthemovie,Jul 23 2009, 03:30 AM
I think when I had it checked the few different times, it came up as a different cylinder each time.

BTW I just got home tonight and twice while in 2nd gear vtec around 7000 RPM, I could hear it misfire and it sounded like my car threw a flame.
So it was different each time and not the (P1399 - random/multiple cylinder misfire detected) code?

Maybe bad fuel? U might be running rich. Or your injectors are dirty. Also if you can get a compression test done that might indicate that you have bent valves. Do you hear any knocking from the engine?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Freddy,Jul 22 2009, 08:32 PM
not intending to steal your thread, but i too have the same problem.. difference with me is, i recently had head work done (replaced valves), and replaced my clutch. mine bogs really bad and hesitates below 1k rpm. i went to autozone to check the CEL and they said i had a misfire on cylinders 1,2,3!! I checked for loose plugs but nothing.. can someone help? us???
Well for me it wasn't that the plugs were loose. The porcelain part (white part) was loose. Normally you shouldn't be able to move them at all by hand. But mine were easily movable, which then can shatter because of vibrations and if you're lucky you will catch it in time or hopefully none of the pieces will fall into your cylinder.

Did you replace the valves by yourself?

Quick Reply: CEL random misfire causing HORRIBLE bogging