S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL P2138

Old 07-11-2010, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL P2138

So I'm accelerating away from a redlight...all of a sudden ALL my indicator lights come on but the car drives fine when it happened, no bogging, no stalling, etc. i pull over, shut off the car and then restart it...i have the CEL on..car idles fine, good power, but i kept in below 4000rpm just in case.

i get home, i scan the code..its a P2138 "o2 sensor circuit high volts bank 1 sensor 3"

i clear the code and it has come on since then...what gives?

2007 s2000 (DBW)
64000 miles

-a
Old 07-11-2010, 08:21 PM

so im supspecting that the book that translates the codes that came with my scanner is not correct...

i googled "p2138" and its a fault with the DBW system....but the car drives fine at the moment...was it just a fluke?

-a
Old 05-31-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have similar problem. Recieved P2127 and P2138 CEL codes last night. Have an 07 with 75000 miles. Replaced tps sensor and now tb. Crossing fingers. Any help would be appreciated...
Old 05-31-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubn1out4GudLuk
have similar problem. Recieved P2127 and P2138 CEL codes last night. Have an 07 with 75000 miles. Replaced tps sensor and now tb. Crossing fingers. Any help would be appreciated...
Just seeing if I can help. When u say u replaced tps sensor, are u talking about the accelerator pedal position sensor which is the little black module with throttle cable attached? If so then it should be the right fix for 2138, did that for my case and it worked. Not sure about the other code though.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by f23power
So I'm accelerating away from a redlight...all of a sudden ALL my indicator lights come on but the car drives fine when it happened, no bogging, no stalling, etc. i pull over, shut off the car and then restart it...i have the CEL on..car idles fine, good power, but i kept in below 4000rpm just in case.

i get home, i scan the code..its a P2138 "o2 sensor circuit high volts bank 1 sensor 3"

i clear the code and it has come on since then...what gives?

2007 s2000 (DBW)
64000 miles

-a
Mine is also an 07 and had the issue approx same time u did. Replacing the pedal position sensor should fix it. It's maybe 80 usd? Hope that helps
Old 06-01-2012, 08:08 AM

^^ Yes, just received the P2138 code the other night. The car went into limp mode and had NO throttle response what-so-ever. I've had the P2127 for several weeks now and when it tripped the car would just go into limp mode. Checked everything from the relays, fuses and all the wiring associated with the throttle. Also put dielectric grease on all the connectors. Replaced the tps sensor and the only thing left was to replace the throttle body(which I did yesterday). I'm just thankful to have a friend that has an 07 S2000 that is down for a turbo build so he let me use parts off of his car.

Fingers crossed..
Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM

ive had this problem a month or two ago, around 90k miles...if the code says something about voltage level on the accelorator postioning pedal then it is for the accelerator sensor in the black module not the sensor on the TB. Learned that the hard way cause i replaced the TB first and it still gave the code.

Luckily my friend pulled out the other sensor and put it back in tapped it a few times, cleaned the plugs and it hasnt given me a problem since. Saved me $100+ for a new sensor. So i would try the tapping method and disconnecting cleaning the plugs before buying the new sensor.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by lazyjet
ive had this problem a month or two ago, around 90k miles...if the code says something about voltage level on the accelorator postioning pedal then it is for the accelerator sensor in the black module not the sensor on the TB. Learned that the hard way cause i replaced the TB first and it still gave the code.

Luckily my friend pulled out the other sensor and put it back in tapped it a few times, cleaned the plugs and it hasnt given me a problem since. Saved me $100+ for a new sensor. So i would try the tapping method and disconnecting cleaning the plugs before buying the new sensor.
Thanks man. Before I replaced anything a few weeks back(when I started getting the code/s) I got the P2127 and once a P2123(I believe) code. Replaced the TPS sensor and mostly got the P2127 every few days(1-3 randomly). Then the other night got the P2127 and P2138 codes, replaced the Throttle body and cleared the codes. The first day I took it easy, yesterday I started pushing at bit...Been 2 days so far, crossing by fingers. Not getting excited or anything until it's been a minimum of a week to a month with out the code/s..
Old 06-23-2012, 06:56 AM

Update:

Over 2 1/2 weeks ago(19 days to be exact) I removed the wiring harness from my ECU and cleaned the connections with an air hose. No problems for 2 weeks. Yesterday, I decided to put my stock Tps sensor back in(figured it was good) and put my kick panel back in as well. Well, I drove for about 5 min and CEL came on again and the car went into limp mode. Had throttle this time, though. Pulled the code and it was the P2123. Seems I changed 2 variables at the same time. I will be first checking the wiring harness on the connections to the ECU to see if I have a loose wire somewhere in that area. I clearly remember a wire that was a little loose going into the connector that I pushed in before connecting into the ECU(the kick panel might've knock it back out while I was trying to put it back in).
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rubn1out4GudLuk
Update:

Over 2 1/2 weeks ago(19 days to be exact) I removed the wiring harness from my ECU and cleaned the connections with an air hose. No problems for 2 weeks. Yesterday, I decided to put my stock Tps sensor back in(figured it was good) and put my kick panel back in as well. Well, I drove for about 5 min and CEL came on again and the car went into limp mode. Had throttle this time, though. Pulled the code and it was the P2123. Seems I changed 2 variables at the same time. I will be first checking the wiring harness on the connections to the ECU to see if I have a loose wire somewhere in that area. I clearly remember a wire that was a little loose going into the connector that I pushed in before connecting into the ECU(the kick panel might've knock it back out while I was trying to put it back in).
My Service Manual (MY06) says a P2123 is: Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor A (Throttle Position (TP) Sensor D) Circuit High Voltage. There's a 16 step test process that eventually gets to: check for loose terminals and poor connections at the APP sensor and the ECM.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: CEL P2138