S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL, P0301 and Pending P1399

Old 07-05-2015, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CEL, P0301 and Pending P1399

Hello everyone.

Important note: I have owned the car for about 6 weeks. The car is a 2004 with about 31,500 miles. It was purchased from a dealership and the car is still covered under the 3 month/3,000 mile warranty.

So, on Friday, I was driving home from a store and I notice the CEL was on. Ran the code and it came back as P0301, cylinder 1 misfire, and P1399 was pending. I switched the coil pack and erased the code, drove for a couple hours and it came back. Unfortunately, the code is still 0301 with 1399 pending so unfortunately for me, it wasn't the coil pack. My car was just with Billman a couple weeks ago so it shouldn't be something as simple as spark plugs. Does anyone have an idea of a best case to worst case scenario range for how much it might cost me to fix this? Then, the question is, do I bring it back to Billman, have him take care of it, and pay for the repair myself (im leaning towards this) or do I bring the car to the dealership and have their service department fix it for free? Obviously free is better, but the quality of work at a dealership is a gamble, and I am not sure it is a gamble I want to take.

I know very little when it comes to working on cars, so unless it is something easy like switching coil packs then I probably wouldn't be able to do it myself without any help or guidance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I would take it back under warranty. If you tell them someone worked on the car they may try to use that against you?
Old 07-06-2015, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
I would take it back under warranty. If you tell them someone worked on the car they may try to use that against you?
I agree, but chances are I don't think they would even know that someone has worked on it. As of now, I'm planning to take it to Billman. If he says it's an expensive fix then I'm going to the dealership and having them repair it
Old 07-07-2015, 07:02 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

120 psi in cylinder one, sent to dealer to fix.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Burt/bent valve, do you think? This guy sure is lucky to have a warranty!
Old 07-07-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Originally Posted by Billman250' timestamp='1436281379' post='23672376
Burt/bent valve, do you think? This guy sure is lucky to have a warranty!
indeed I am, but id have been luckier to not have the issue in the first place
Old 07-07-2015, 05:43 PM

some of you guys are salesmen at Honda dealerships or other car manufacturer dealerships. im curious if giving someone their money back after purchasing a used car is something that you would ever do or has ever been done. in a perfect world, I would get my money back from the sale and I would go buy another s2000 that doesn't have cylinder misfires before hitting 35k miles. but I cant imagine that the dealership would actually give me my money back, so I was hoping that one of our salesmen members might see this and provide some insight.

or does anyone know a salesman at a Honda dealership that I could talk to and ask about this?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Is it top or bottom end related?
Old 07-12-2015, 12:25 PM

update. I took the car in to the dealership on Wednesday, July 8th. After handing it over and sitting in the waiting room for two hours, they come back to me and say, yeah you were right, the compression is low. They said the engine data had been erased (probably one of the idiots there who looked at it) and they didn't have any data about the misfiring. He then told me they had to take the engine apart to run a diagnostic and figure out definitively what was causing it to happen. They followed that with, "if its a manufacturer's error, we will fix it for free under your warranty, but if its a bent valve which can be caused by an over rev then you are responsible for covering the costs." This was a little concerning to me, and it actually caused me to argue with the guy cause I didn't fck up at all changing gears and I just wanted to make sure they were going to honor the warranty.
Well, it is now Sunday, so they have had the car for 5 days, and I still havn't heard back from them with a definitive answer. I called them on Friday to check in with them, and the guy told me they were still looking into it. It's a bit concerning that they've taken the engine apart, and have had the car in their garage for 5 days and still havn't been able to figure it out
Anyways.. fingers crossed that there are no issues and they don't try to tell me that I have to pay for the repair. I'm hoping that once they find the issue it won't take much longer to fix it. I want my s2000 back. On the plus side, when I handed over my s2000 to them, they provided a loaner car, 2015 Honda Civic LX, so I have had a car to drive around. At the end of the day, I just want them to pay for the repair and to get my car back. And if the engine is totally fckd then hopefully they will offer a refund and I can just buy a different s2000 that hopefully wont start misfiring within the first 6 weeks of ownership like this one did. This has been such a pain in the ass. And here I am wasting valuable summer days without the ability to go topless. I miss my baby
Old 07-15-2015, 08:08 AM

Head is with the machinist now. This is turning into a real nightmare

Quick Reply: CEL, P0301 and Pending P1399