S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL light and misfire codes problem

Old 05-18-2004, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys - I don't know if this helps, but I've had the same problem over here on this side of the pond. According to Honda UK I'm the only one who's experienced the problem of the Engine Check Light coming on.

In short, it first came on in early 2003 at approx 25K miles, it's an 02 with stock internals and a PRM CAI, still under warrantee. The ECL was triggered by various cylinder misfires (12 ECL's in total)

Honda have tried the following, all under warrantee in the following order:

Compression Test
Plug Change
Coil Change
Map Sensor change
Stock air filter replaced
CAI back on
New ECU
New fuel filler cap
Fuel line test
Vaccum line test
New Fuel filter - which ran ok for 2000 miles

and finally, a can of injector cleaner from Honda (the strong stuff that melts your paintwork)

The light hasn't returned for 3000 miles

I really hope it stays off - but what we think is that the intake system is very sensitive to fuel, and fuel quality - which is why there maybe less problems over here (I've heard the fuel is better over here, but I might be talking arse! )

So the fuel filter, and injectors get quite a hard time.

Mine's now run to 53K, and running strong

Cheers
Rich
Old 08-20-2004, 10:13 AM

Does anyone have any updates on getting this problem solved? My CEL just turned on due to misfires in all four cylinders and I'm hoping someone might have found out what is causing the problem.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:28 PM

I have also had the CEL on with misfire issues. I have blown 100 bucks on plugs and tried swapping the coils around to determine if it was them...nothing. I still get misfire codes on cylinder 3, 4 and a random misfire code. I also have the blinking light issue, mostly when I am waiting at a light. I have all the same symptoms as the others and when not at idle, it seems to run smooth and strong.

My question is can a bad injector on cylinder 3 cause cylinder 4 to misfire? I imagine it can.

Also, when comparing the sound of mine at idle to another one, there is noticeable ticking coming from the 3 and 4 area. Sounds like a valve tick but I wonder if the injectors could make noises like that.

I think I'll try injectors next, are there any special tools needed to do it. I have heard that you need to buy some special seals every time, not plain o-rings...true?

Thanks

2001 , 13k miles.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by horunner,Aug 20 2004, 12:28 PM
I have also had the CEL on with misfire issues. I have blown 100 bucks on plugs and tried swapping the coils around to determine if it was them...nothing. I still get misfire codes on cylinder 3, 4 and a random misfire code. I also have the blinking light issue, mostly when I am waiting at a light. I have all the same symptoms as the others and when not at idle, it seems to run smooth and strong.

My question is can a bad injector on cylinder 3 cause cylinder 4 to misfire? I imagine it can.

Also, when comparing the sound of mine at idle to another one, there is noticeable ticking coming from the 3 and 4 area. Sounds like a valve tick but I wonder if the injectors could make noises like that.

I think I'll try injectors next, are there any special tools needed to do it. I have heard that you need to buy some special seals every time, not plain o-rings...true?

Thanks

2001 , 13k miles.
I would hold off on a new injector and getting a compression test done. No point replacing injectors if your valves aren't sealing!
Old 10-23-2004, 02:05 PM

Just another update. CEL light keeps going on then a few days later it goes off. Always at idle, and I just pulled the codes (via the paper-clip trick, see http://www.baustnet.com/honda/misc/dtc.htm ) (dealer was quoting $86 to pull the codes).

Either my valves have drifted out of alignment again, or something else is going on. I'm still of the belief that the injectors are the problem, but am still $500 short in testing that theory.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:48 PM

Did you still pull the same codes 301-304? Give me a call (PM'ed you), I don't feel like reading everything in this thread again .
Old 12-09-2004, 05:28 PM
TLE

I have a similar problem on an 02 w/ 20k miles. All I know about the codes is it's misfire on all four cylinders. The light comes on permanently for a couple of days. Always while driving slowly in traffic.

The dealer has been helpful and reasonable, tried injector cleaner in the fuel, reset the valve clearances etc.

Shortly b4 the light came on for the first time, the idle went lumpy. Also when stationary taking the engine up 4-5k RPM, the misfire can be heard/felt.

I've had a couple of aftermarket exhausts on the car during this problem. The dealer has suggested Honda wants the car reverted to standard before doing further tests. I don't have any problem with that in principle, if they insist, that's what I'll do.

The only strange thing is this: The aftermarket exhausts are new and in good condition, one had been on the car for a year before the problem started. How in the world is an aftermarket exhaust going to cause an engine to misfire on all four cylinders ........ Seems a bit silly to me. Seems obvious if I go to the trouble of swapping the exhaust the problem will still remain, and it's going to be a waste of time, isn't it?

To modify the exhaust so that it would make the engine misfire as badly as it does, would involve ramming a few potatos up the mufflers.