S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL light and misfire codes problem

Old 04-26-2004, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same problem except on cylinder #1. Had a dealer in KY fix it for $1600 (bent valve, cracked valve guides - i think). Drove back to cali ~3K miles, and it's back again. Same compression numbers as before, first cylinder sucking. Talked to honda, and they said they'd look at it, but if it's a bent valve again, they won't help me, and i have to pay tear down fees. I've never overrevved her. Don't understand what the problem may be. Any input you guys have would be great, I'll post some more details once I find the receipt from KY. Oh ya, when we pulled the head in KY, there was a small ding on the piston head, so the valve def. made contact. Thanx.

In a later post....

Okay, did a compression check. 100,180,180,185. The compression tester is kinda crappy, so I think the #'s are a bit higher than it indicated. After a scoop of oil in each cylinder it jumped a little bit to 120, 200, 200, 200. My understanding is that the fuel washes down the cylinder walls, so the rings don't seal properly. The oil helps seal it, so I'll get a small increase in the compression. But it's still at 120, which is way low. It's just really bugging me cause I shelled out $1600 (us military guys don't make that much $$) in KY to get it fixed and now it's back. Honda has said they won't honor a gurantee on the repair if it's a bent valve. I think I'll try to get the valves adjusted this weekend on my own. I just don't understand how it could pop up again after the repair, makes me think that something else is wrong. I was driving around yesterday and the CEL started to blink at idle I just can't win with this thing. Two days after I got back from Iraq I was backed up into by a huge hick-driven truck. F'ed up my passenger sidelight, fender, and hood. The body shop just repainted the hood instead of replacing/adjusting it. Anyway, so I get back here and am washing my car, go to lift up the wipers and scrrattch. The drivers side wiper peels paint off of the end of the hood . This is what I get for spending ~11 months in Iraq. I just don't get how after ~3000 miles of driving, the CEL came back on!

Hoof - I thought you had said that the valve adjustment had gotten rid of your CEL problems?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:41 AM

This must be contagious... i have a similar problem... CEL light came on last week... i reset it... after i reset the light.. by car had problems idling and between shifts it DIED!!! I drove the car around for a bit and the problem seemed to fix itself... and it ran smooth again...

Then the next day the CEL light comes back on... so i drive out to have a friend check it... and on the way to his shop... i was pushing the engine a bit... the light turns OFF... he was still able to get the error code and it showed a #4 Cylinder Misfire...

I have not done anything to troubleshoot this as of yet... my car is out of warranty so i'm affraid of overwhelming expenses so i'm doing research before i start... but why would my car die between shifts then pick back up again and run smooth? and now that the CEL light turn off... does that mean the problem is no longer there?

This morning when i turned my car on... it started idling really low again when i first started driving it... then it went away... where do i begin??? Thanks...
Old 04-30-2004, 10:56 AM

I'm not a gear-head, but I would check your compression and see if something funny is going on there. It's quick 'n easy to do. Your oil level is okay, right?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by yogi
I'm not a gear-head, but I would check your compression and see if something funny is going on there. It's quick 'n easy to do. Your oil level is okay, right?
I'm far from a gear head... how would i check it? my oil level is good...its due for a change... but its good..
Old 04-30-2004, 11:13 AM

I don't think compression testers are that much, maybe 20 bucks. Anyway, basically you take off your plugs, put the compression tester in place of a plug, crank the engine at WOT 5-7 times, and repeat for each cylinder. If you go to an AutoZone or something I'm sure they'd help you with this.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:40 PM

Thanks yogi... i'll definitely give that a shot...

Also... another thing i noticed... that has happened since i could remember is that in stop and go traffic... my car lags sometimes between shifts... is that normal? i've asked other people and they say this happens to them too??
Old 04-30-2004, 02:48 PM

That's usually just heat soak I think. Since you're at a stop there isn't any moving air so the intake sucks in really hot air. What do you mean by lags between shifts exactly?
Old 05-12-2004, 10:24 AM

Would someone please welcome me to the misfire club? My car just started doing it yesterday, now the CEL is on. I haven't had the codes read yet, but I know it's misfiring.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:51 AM

I ran a leakdown test and its been determined that my low compression is caused by a bad exhaust valve. The clearence on one of the #3 cylinder valves was way off - no play at all.
I'm having the #3 exhaust valves replaced in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:39 PM

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=206689

its sux!

Quick Reply: CEL light and misfire codes problem