S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL codes Misfires...HELP

Old 07-29-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL codes Misfires...HELP

car is an 2000 s2k about 128k miles....replaced spark plugs when i got these codes and they went away.....motor has no unusual ticking which might result in valve adjustments need..motor does not knock also.....dont know wat this might be..can anyone help...ive read that gas caps might be the causes in some rare cases...

okay car usually throws codes during a cold start most cases i have experienced if it throws code car misfires regardless even when hot...just today i notice the idle dropped real low if i was to drive it while misfiring....wat do you guys think i should do i was looking towards adjusting valves and dealing with the gas cap by getting a new one....

NOTE: i notice this started to happen after i was pumping gas and a buddy who was with me turned the key for no apparent reason to put the top down this in which caused the pump to stop....dont know if this was one of the reasons but after that it started to run ruffer then code came on the next day cause i just took it home a little after.....

I also notice and i dont know if this is common in s2000s but the coil plugs dont really grip the spark plugs i can just pull them out without trying they usually just pop out...dont know if this may be a factor also...

ANY help is appreciated thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, read this to get some background/info:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/659930-misfire-thread/

To clarify: so the codes went away after you replaced the spark plugs but now they are back? The CEL will come on and turn itself off? Or is it on all the time? Does it ever flash?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

go to auto zone and ask them to pull the codes, i think it might be your o2 sensor but im not sure
Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 PM

i have a obd2 code reader.....CEL flashs and keeps flashing even after i clear the code...my buddie actually has a f20c motor in his old skool celica text him and imma go try his coil plugs out...so this maybe an o2 sensor?
Old 07-30-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coil packs are possible, definitely swap them with your friend's car and see. Read through that thread I posted, it gives a lot of helpful info. I had a misfire issue with my 2002 / 100K miles which needed both the sparkplugs and coil packs to be replaced.

You shouldn't drive the car with the CEL flashing, the misfires can destroy the cat and cause other problems.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i had same problem... here are the steps i took:
1) take plug cover off and losen all coil bolts. Then crank, and one by one pull the coils up to disconnected them. start with 1, if i bogs than that one is good, move to the next, etc, if you find one that you can pull out and the car still runs the exact same then thats the bad coil.
2) pulled plugs out after i replaced and misfires continued: check to see if any are fouled up again. if they are you may have bad rings or some other form of oil fouling.
3) go buy a cheap compression test tool, test all cylinders... oh and either TORQUE the SH*taki out of the adapter, or glue it in place on the tool, i got mine stuck in the plug hole and it was a massive pita to get out. if numbers are under 200 or very inconstant means you could have a bent/burnt valve, seal leaks, etc.
4) Pull off valve cover and LOOK at the keepers, if any seem like the little knob in the middle is set farther in than the others, (its kinda small and hard to tell), then you may have a recessed valve. fairly common in ap1's if you screw a shift a few times
5) none of that comes out, the go get a valve adjustment... thats what fixed mine.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:02 AM

thanks guys ill get it checked out luckily its not a daily but i do drive it around....i hardly take it past 5krpms so hopefully not the valves ive had issues with my other hondas when i missed a couple shifts or over revved a little but i havent on the S2000.

im gonna get the coils checked just havent had time cause of work and my buddie works even though we live a house down from each other work comes into play....if not fixed ill adjust the valves myself and go on from there...thanks ill keep my post updated
Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my little checklist took me roughly an hour to run down before i decided it was most likely a valve adjustment.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:26 PM

okay update....did a valve adjustment to specs intake side .008 and exhaust side .010....car makes major ticking now and driving under low rpms suck....

valves on all cylinders were very very tight.....i couldnt put the feeler guage in them at all...ive heard of s2000s valves tightening instead of loosening

oil level is at "L" on dipstick heard S2000s might have issues in this particular section and this might be a timing chain problem..

can someone help.....im exhausted.....lol
Old 07-31-2011, 09:25 PM

anybody got any more infos???would it also be the cat converter